DRM for more functionality?
First off I want to say I absolutely LOVE KODI. You can customize the skin to your liking. Sure it's kinda hard for novices or you can pick out something from the internet but damn...those options. THey're stunning!!

One thing I want more out of kodi is premium content integration. I want to be able to create this all in one interface where friends can come by and be like DAMN that looks SICK ya know? while still enjoying all of our favorite entertainment. AMC's The Walking Dead, HBO's Game of Thrones, DVR access, Football games.

Let's be honest, that's never gonna happen DRM free and Kodi's notorious for having people pirate the shit out of everything to give them a bad rep. What if we were able to make a paid DRM provided Kodi that allowed a certain level of customizability while allowing other providers to grant access? I want to be able to get Verizon FiOS or DirecTV NOW channels with my own custom interface and at the moment, they're unwilling because of all these digital content protection measures.
(2017-02-28, 07:34)darthgamer64 Wrote: and Kodi's notorious for having people pirate the shit out of everything to give them a bad rep.
No, it's not. Kodi doesn't provide content so it doesn't need to concern itself with DRM, which is up to the content providers.
The other point is DRM doesn't usually sit well with FOSS software and open source.

At best you end up with a binary blob or something similar which makes many dev's uncomfortable to have around ,and at worst the providers just don't do it for the risk that it can be reverse engineered and broken.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
there is work currently done to add DRM support, but the level of DRM support will depend on the OS Kodi is running on, because Kodi as open source platform can't really implement a protected data path any content provider would be happy with, as everybody is able to change the code and break the protected DRM chain.

Also, if there will ever be something like official add-ons from content providers like Netflix, they will force their UI on you, so these add-ons will be more like the equivalent smart-device apps

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DRM for more functionality?0