• 2(current)
Choosing the right versatile box for up to $80
(2017-03-03, 23:51)nickr Wrote: Never ever buy hardware on the promise of tomorrow's software.
But it's really shiny.
(2017-03-03, 23:51)nickr Wrote: Never ever buy hardware on the promise of tomorrow's software.
So true... the last mistake I made with this was Boxee Box.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Thank you all for all the great help and to @trogggy for the obligatory sarcastic remarks Smile

So one thing I'm a bit confused about right now is - if I buy just any of these generic no-name S905(x) boxes, will I be able to install LibreELEC on them without having a PhD in android box architecture? From what I understood from the posts, the ODROID C2 / WeTek Hub / Play2 trio is both ofically supported and the easiest to install LibreELEC on but the first thing from the list is just a board which I'd have to somehow encase on my own and I'm not too much of a DIY guy so as I said that's not really a tempting option for me. The WeTek's, on the other hand, are waay beyond my budget. That's why, if I were to go for a S905 box to set up LibreELEC on, it'd have to be something different than those three devices - hence the abover question.

And as for the Mi Box - I've read around about its playback capabilites and the only thing I found was a playback test on YouTube from 5 months ago stating that 60fps don't work, h.265 doesn't and so on and so forth. Have all those things been patched yet so that it's safe to assume that everything will work just fine?
(2017-03-04, 00:03)Tigro Wrote: So one thing I'm a bit confused about right now is - if I buy just any of these generic no-name S905(x) boxes, will I be able to install LibreELEC on them without having a PhD in android box architecture?
I can only speak for the boxes I own...
Write image to sd card.
Stick sd card in slot.
Stick a 'toothpick' into a hole on the bottom of the box (you can feel a switch being pressed).
Plug in power cable.
Count to 5.
Release toothpick.
After the first boot it boots to libreelec if the cards inserted, to android if not.

That's not a 'generic' box though - I did some reading both here and on the libreelec forum before buying the first - and then bought an identical one because I was happy with it. If I was starting again now I'd do the same.
Casing C2 is really easy so you don't have to be afraid of that. Just put the board in place, and do two screws. And you don't even have to put it in the case if you don't want to.
Odroid C2 running CoreElec
Yes I don't know why people make out putting together such things as a little Linux board into a click together case so hard. Lego is harder !

You are not constructing a Saturn 5 rocket to go to the moon !

Like the RPi's these little C2's can come in Kit form. It would be a 5 minute setup, maybe 10 if you are a Newb - to flash the LibreELEC Software.

(2017-03-04, 00:02)hdmkv Wrote:
So true... the last mistake I made with this was Boxee Box.

The BBox was a solid device with plenty of potential, it was a great media player for its time IMO. The first media player with a small footprint and great UI.

Kodi at the time was just not there in terms of UI and the BBox ran just fine for me, even hacked to run Kodi 14 for a few months, then moved onto the pi2 and now s905. The s905 running LE is by far the best 4K kodi box ever with smooth performance.

I still use the BBox remote to this day with some DIY on my s905 box.
Thanks for all the replies.

After asking around and looking around for a S905(/X) box after reading your advice, I found the Nexbox A95X to be a very tempting option - I heard that LibreELEC installation is fast and easy, its performence seems to be top notch even on 4k files when it's on Libre, it's on the supported devices list on the LE forums and you can find it for as little as ~$30. Right when I was about to buy it, though, I heard that there is a problem with powering on and off after flashing with LibreELEC, though... Namely, supposedly if you turn it off with your remote, you won't be able to turn in on again and so you have to unplug it from the power outlet. Is that true and a common occurrence in LibreELEC-flashed boxes? Cause this regretfully doesn't sound too convenient Sad
It's certainly true for some boxes; I'd suspect the proportion is fairly low (or there'd be more moaning) but it's difficult / impossible to know for sure.
I've never had any problem switching on / off with my Beelinks, it's something I'd want to check - inasmuch as you can - before buying.
Edit: it's not actually as big a deal as you might think though - it effectively behaves like a pi when switched off, but if you use suspend (which is what I do routinely for an instant wakeup) it's not an issue.
It uses very little power, you won't want to turn it off.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I bought a QBox 2/16 memory with all the 'add-ons' before knowing better.

Flashing LibreELEC was trivial. I would suggest you cut the head off a Q-Tip to hold the reset button down.

You'll get better pressure and coverage.

It's now faster, better, cleaner - and supported.
At geekbuying they have the Tanix TX8 max with Amlogic S912, 3GB DDR4 and 16G eMMC5.0 for $72. How's it?
(2017-03-13, 23:25)layken Wrote: At geekbuying they have the Tanix TX8 max with Amlogic S912, 3GB DDR4 and 16G eMMC5.0 for $72. How's it?
How the heck can you read this thread and still be asking how good an S912 box is at the end of it? Huh
(2017-03-13, 23:25)layken Wrote: At geekbuying they have the Tanix TX8 max with Amlogic S912, 3GB DDR4 and 16G eMMC5.0 for $72. How's it?

Its a amazing box, the best aml box arround. BUY NOW!!

/sarcasm
is it any chance that the s912 buggy firmware test will be updated someday ?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choosing the right versatile box for up to $800