v17 Sync Playback to Display vs Audio Passthrough in Kodi 17
I also have a Denon AVR, but even if I still prefer Passing-trough audio, I think in my case all Audyseey features works in the same way with a multi-channel input, and in the end what I hear is exactly the same. What is the AVR reporting as audio info when sending a multi-channel signal?
If you compare audio settings for audyssey while playing DD/DTS vs multichannel, you will see that some settings not available for mulitchannel in the menu.
You only can hear a difference if you use Dynamic EQ. It should be even more audible with XT32/sub eq AVR's.

You shoud see something like Multi Ch In
(2017-03-06, 16:01)centralseven Wrote: If you compare audio settings for audyssey while playing DD/DTS vs multichannel, you will see that some settings not available for mulitchannel in the menu.
You only can hear a difference if you use Dynamic EQ. It should be even more audible with XT32/sub eq AVR's.

You shoud see something like Multi Ch In

Yesyes, I understand what you mean, but at least in my case (Denon X2200W), it lets me change the different Audyssey options just the same. If there are AVRs out there that behave different in that case, then passing-thru audio is almost a must, but don't think is the expected behavior.

BTW, the information I was referring to, was the one under Setup->General->Information->Audio.
(2017-03-02, 20:21)FernetMenta Wrote: The old method dropped or duplicated audio packets which was nonsense. If you experience a video glitch every 40 s without "sync playback to dispaly" means that audio speed has to be adjusted by 41ms every 40 secs too.
So that was causing occasional loud clicks during playback?
That was disturbing but video glitches are not nice either. In my case some scenes look like slow motion.

(2017-03-02, 20:21)FernetMenta Wrote: I will never understand why people prefer currupted audio (this is what you get when duplicating or dropping packets) just to see a useless codec indicator on the AVR. In most cases (like yours) quality is better if you disable passthrough
It's not about indicator at all. If you disable passthrough you can't see what soundtrack you're listening becuase KODI does not show that information.
It says PCM 5.1 ch. But one can't know whether it's DTS-HD or Atmos.
And as you don't know it - you feel it sounds worse?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
No, no placebo here. Altough I didn't compare anything. Never liked player doing the decoding.

But if one has an Atmos configuration I see no point listening to DTS soundtrack, right?

And if I'm not mistaken, when passthrough is not active, Dolby Atmos signals are not sent to the AVR!

Plus, there is one more advantage when AVR is doing the decoding. Dolby Atmos/DTS:X capable receivers are offering an upmixer so no matter the content you are always getting simulated height effects. That too is gone with the "sync playback" enabled. So there's more than just a codec indicator on the AVR.
What happens with this version: http://jenkins.kodi.tv/job/WIN-32/12005/
it has -win in its name and will appear here: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32/

What do you Atmos ears and eagle eyes tell?

For the lazy: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/win32...5d-win.exe
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hello.
Sorry for the delay and kind thanks for this. I will try that as soon as I can. I hope on Wednesday.
Is this installer version? Do you suggest I replace my current Kodi installation with this one?
Yes. Yes.
Well, it looks like there is an improvement! It's better but still not perfect.
The slow motion movement now seems a little bit accelerated so it's less noticeable.
I didn't change any of the options.
Are you sure?
Sure about what?
The picture isn't smooth as it was on Kodi15, that's for sure. There are still movement issues.
In that case I suggest continue using v15. The build I gave you was a blind test, thx for the result.
Yeah, I would gladly use it but the Atmos tracks are giving me issues on versions 15 and 16.
Wouldn't it be easier to include back some of the old options in newer versions? Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sync Playback to Display vs Audio Passthrough in Kodi 170