Linux live tv first timer
Question 
im going to be moving at the end of the month and dont plan on signing back up for cable so i want to set up my chromebox on libreelec for live tv. i know pretty much nothing about setting up live tv on kodi. all i know is u buy a usb tv tuner and connect the coax cable and connect to the chromebox and after that im lost. i live in the us so i know that is ATSC but where im moving to has verizon fios service so would i need a usb tuner that supports QAM? i dont plan on using an antenna. how about setting up tvheadend? what else would i need? im basically looking for the newbie "how to" version
PVR (wiki) is a good starting point. FiOS for me is great. I use an hdhomerun prime
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
ok so i would need to install and configure a TV backend which would be a usb tv tuner or something like a hdhomerun right? im not really trying to have something big and elaborate just something to work on 1 tv. based on hdhomerun website it says i would need to to connect it to a router to get it over wifi or ethernet to my chromebox, would it be easier to use a usb tuner? would i need to have a paid subscription to use hdhomerun? could i use it for different cable/satellite companies?
The HDHomeRun is a network tuner, meaning it streams content over the network exclusively. Most other tuners are PCI or USB based which your computer would directly access.

The PVR backend is software that Kodi interacts with (but is not Kodi) that handles the TV tuning, viewing and recording. This software is separate from Kodi, but PVR clients are used as a bridge to communicate between Kodi and your PVR backend.

In the case of Tvheadend, the software can indeed simultaneously use different network types such as cable, OTA and satellite, as long as you have tuner hardware capable of receiving those signals. You can even combine the, into logical channels, so if you receive CBS both OTA and via cable, Tvheadend will use whichever network/tuner is available.

Personally, stay away from LibreELEC, as you cannot easily update the Tvheadend software that it ships with, and getting other EPG grabbers to run on it (especially if you are using cable in the US) is difficult at best, impossible at worst.

Also, most TV streams in the US are MPEG-2, which needs more bandwidth, and possibly more processing power, than a cheap chromebox will offer.
a chromebox is all i have right now and dont plan on upgrading it anytime soon. i didnt realize a chromebox wasnt a good option for live tv
so what would u recommend thats good for live tv

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
live tv first timer0