Can my box display Metadata from a network media source?
Hi Guys,

Got a pretty simple question. Kodi on my PC which has my HDD on it with well organised media can scrape and display metadata really well and it all looks great.

I use TVersity Media Server to stream said media to 3 Minix Neo boxes running Kodi 16 throughout the house.

Because they connect to this server they don't seem to know how to display any metadata so I don't have any of the great pictures or sorting options available on this box which are available when I run Kodi on the PC itself.

Any way to get these boxes to play a bit nicer with the network share/server? Am I missing a setting or is this simply not possible? Even a once off "scan" or "scrape" and then saving the data to each device would work but I'm not sure this is possible.

Thanks for your help in advance and sorry if this isn't the right sub-forum to use.

Thanks
Quote:TVersity Media Server to stream said media to 3 Minix Neo boxes running Kodi 16

I am not familiar with TVersity, but the first thing that stands out is you have a middle-man in the mix. Let your Kodi 16 boxes access the media files directly. That way you can scrape the media into the Kodi library.

It is quite probable that TVersity is serving up the media in a way Kodi does not understand. Normally you would set up a smb:// share. Easily done in windows.

As I said, not familiar with TVersity though.

Are you running v16 or v17 on your PC?

Just had a quick look at their website. Could not find any mention of Kodi integration.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks. I used to share using standard Windows homegroup sharing but it was iffy at best so I got TVersity.

Should I try SMB sharing - does that usually work with metadata?

v17 on my PC but that doesn't have anything to do with sharing the media does it? Or do you share from Kodi to Kodi?
I never tried the Homegroup method, so cannot comment on it. I know it is not a Kodi recommended method.

Yes, the SMB sharing works. I use it on my 2 PC setup - HTPC and Office computer. Since upgrading to Win 10 it has never missed a beat. Win 7 was problematic though.

The metadata is being scraped from the internet, or from your nfo files if you have those. As long as Kodi has access to the directories holding your media, then it can scrape the metadata, the same way you did with your PC.

If you have all your metadata set up perfectly, you could speed up the process for the other boxes to scrape the metadata. If you go to Settings>Media Settings>Library, then in both Video Library and Music Library you will see the option Export Library. If you run this option as Separate files and also Export Artwork, this will place the metadata that is in your PC setup into a file alongside the movie files on your PC. Your boxes can then read those files and will import the metadata into their own library. This will save time on large libraries, and won't be dependent on internet usage. You must have the correct directory structure for this to work properly.

No, the versions of Kodi can be different if they are all independent installations. i.e. you are not trying to share the one library. Keep theme separate if you have no need for sharing watched status and resume points. If you want to share a single library, then yes they all need to be the same version.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Hey mate. Thanks a MILLION for your help. I will have a crack at that and report back but it all makes sense.

Much appreciated from a fellow Aussie
No problems neighbour. Let me know how it works for you.
My Signature
Sorry to be a pain but I Googled "set up SMB" and saw a Kodi Wiki result which takes me here:

http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows#Windows_10

For Windows 10 (my OS) it just outlines the Homegroup method which you said you don't use. Is SMB distinct from Homegroup? What should I use and do you know of any good guides/tutorials?

Thanks
Hi Peeteo87,

Homegroup is similar to SMB, but SMB has more flexibility.

It is pretty easy to setup. Basically you are just right clicking the directory you want to share, click the share tab, then click share.

I did a quick search, and this tutorial seemed pretty good... http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/how-...windows-10 Use Method 1. It is a lot of text for pretty much what I said in the previous line, but there are some good instructions there.
My Signature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can my box display Metadata from a network media source?0