Worth Upgrading? Intel 7th Gen NUC
Intel NUC 7th Gen are starting to hit the shops. I've currently got a 5th gen Intel NUC running Windows 10 & Kodi 17.

I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to the latest 7th gen Intel NUC (i5 processor - http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en...i5bnk.html ) - As far as I'm aware, it's got the ability to support 4K @ 60Hz & 10-bit, Full DTS:X passthrough via HDMI 2.0. Would like the ability to have direct 4K support with a single HDMI cable and want to be bit more future proof with more 4K content becoming available.

What do you think? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
(2017-03-09, 14:26)vinz811 Wrote: Intel NUC 7th Gen are starting to hit the shops. I've currently got a 5th gen Intel NUC running Windows 10 & Kodi 17.

I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to the latest 7th gen Intel NUC (i5 processor - http://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en...i5bnk.html ) - As far as I'm aware, it's got the ability to support 4K @ 60Hz & 10-bit, Full DTS:X passthrough via HDMI 2.0. Would like the ability to have direct 4K support with a single HDMI cable and want to be bit more future proof with more 4K content becoming available.

Thanks.

I "upgraded" from an i5 NUC to a Celeron "CAYS" NUC...
Used the old RAM as the new platform also used DDR3 and sold the SSD I was using as it came with one onboard.
I wasn't using the i5 for anything useful. UI isn't any less smooth and the unit is always completely silent.
I'm happy with the swap. If I decided to mess around with some recent emulators say for Dolphin then I might go back on that, but only you know what you need etc.

Different strokes, different folks etc...
If you look at the Kaby and Apollo Lake threads you will see that at this time there are problems with the HDMI 2.0 converter chip.
(2017-03-09, 16:08)robo989 Wrote:
(2017-03-09, 14:26)vinz811 Wrote: Intel NUC 7th Gen are starting to hit the shops. I've currently got a 5th gen Intel NUC running Windows 10 & Kodi 17.

Thanks.

I "upgraded" from an i5 NUC to a Celeron "CAYS" NUC...
Used the old RAM as the new platform also used DDR3 and sold the SSD I was using as it came with one onboard.
I wasn't using the i5 for anything useful. UI isn't any less smooth and the unit is always completely silent.
I'm happy with the swap. If I decided to mess around with some recent emulators say for Dolphin then I might go back on that, but only you know what you need etc.

Different strokes, different folks etc...

Does the Celeron "CAYS" NUC support 4K 10-BIT DTS:X?
I'd save my money... I was debating upgrading my system to a Core i3 from my old Quad-Core Q-9450, but honestly, it runs perfectly fine. Video is smooth, and it runs as a server with 2 other HTPC's streaming from it... so some days will have 3 TV's playing movies from the same box and 0 lag and 0 issues.

I'd wait until there was enough 4K stuff out there to make the upgrade worth while, at which point it would be much cheaper or something newer/better would be out.
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Storage: WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS - 2x4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ)
Display: 55" TCL 55R615-CA 4K TV
They are about a 15% speed/power from skylake, I don't personally think its worth it.

My 5th generation NUC plays everything I throw at it other than 4K stuff.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Worth Upgrading? Intel 7th Gen NUC0