Kodi / HDHomeRun
Is it possible to use HDHomeRun Dual tuners with Kodi if the tuners use a different mini-LAN to the 'proper' LAN ? As some contributors may be aware, HDHR Dual tuners have flaky firmware which causes them to not accept DHCP offered IP addresses, and there is no indication that Silicon Dust cares sufficiently to provide functional firmware. I have established that it is possible to use these HDHR units as a tuner with Windows DVR software although said Windows DVR software is less than desirable and the HDHR EPG isn't available without a working internet connection to the HDHR, and a working internet connection to the HDHR isn't possible with the borked firmware.

What I do need to know is whether or not Kodi can use the tuners for live TV given that doing so will necessitate an EPG that interfaces with Kodi (note the HDHR EPG isn't usable). I'm attempting to create a simpler setup than one relying on Tvheadend for live TV I understand that HDHR devices which manage to accept DHCP addresses successfully will allow Kodi to use them for the purpose but its not clear whether or not HDHR devices which do not / cannot accept DHCP addresses will work with Kodi.
Short answer, I think you'll need to to use a PVR backend.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-03-12, 03:22)nickr Wrote: Short answer, I think you'll need to to use a PVR backend.

Thanks, I figured as much but I was hoping for a simpler solution.
The problem is the link local address you get on the hdhr subnet are not routable. So they can't contact outside their own subnet.

You have reminded me I need to try out my new HDHR.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-03-12, 03:44)nickr Wrote: The problem is the link local address you get on the hdhr subnet are not routable. So they can't contact outside their own subnet.

You have reminded me I need to try out my new HDHR.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that its a waste of time spending any more time on HDHR devices, especially since they were intended to go to a place occupied by total IT philistines. I have a few old Sony PlayTV units around here and they don't need a network correction. Seems it would be more productive to repackage the HDHRs to anyone interested.
I don't get what your problem is with a PVR backend? Although I haven't had the problems you have. Your problem is relatively rare.

Have you tried earlier firmware?
(2017-03-12, 03:55)nickr Wrote: I don't get what your problem is with a PVR backend? Although I haven't had the problems you have. Your problem is relatively rare.

Have you tried earlier firmware?

These were meant to go to a location where the user needs something 200% foolproof. My experience with these HDHR things is that they would create headaches I don't need.
I keep finding other reports about problems with them so I can only assume they are a disaster case.

Haven't tried any different firmware because I haven't a clue where to get same. If any different firmware is available form SD, its exceptionally well hidden.As far as I can tell, firmware is automatically installed by the config program and the only version I have is 20161119. Where can I find an earlier one ?
Google found various ways, including here

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/view...hp?t=63379

Have you tried a different power supply yet? It was suggested in the other thread.
(2017-03-12, 06:47)nickr Wrote: Google found various ways, including here

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/view...hp?t=63379

Have you tried a different power supply yet? It was suggested in the other thread.

Checked both power supplies and they are fine (as expected with brand new ones). Note the thread was about old power supplies that were past their use-by date. The firmware is a likely suspect however. After a bit of fiddling I was able to get a couple of earlier ones, now lets see if I can downgrade 20161117, especially since that thread suggests it can't be done.

Hmmm, seems the comment in that other thread ' I have two 2nd-gen (white box) Duals running 20150604 without problems and I can downgrade them. I also have a 4th-gen Dual running 20150826 and I can't downgrade that. ' is spot on because although I can run the configuration with only the earlier .bin files in the directory, it won't downgrade the 20161117 firmware. That said, there must be a tweak that SD geeks could do to convince the config app that the earlier firmware is actually newer than it is .... come to think of it, I wonder if I simply change the number if it will fool the device into accepting it.

No such luck. Tried renaming the files to 2017xxxxxx but it didn't make any difference. Are you aware of any other way to convince the HDHR to accept a firmware downgrade ?
Most devices scan for HDHR devices by broadcasting, so if they are on a separate VLAN you'll have troubles communicating with them. Forwarding broadcasts from one VLAN to another (having an HDHR on a different network) is possible but will most likely require a managed L3 switch that has that function, to include an "ip helper-address" function that will allow you send a DHCP request from a different VLAN to the server on the main VLAN that is handing out DHCP leases, which would have to be configured to offer DHCP addresses for that scope/network. It would be much simpler to just have the HDHR on the same network as any backend and devices that plan to use it.
(2017-03-12, 11:29)Daemaz Wrote: Most devices scan for HDHR devices by broadcasting, so if they are on a separate VLAN you'll have troubles communicating with them. Forwarding broadcasts from one VLAN to another (having an HDHR on a different network) is possible but will most likely require a managed L3 switch that has that function, to include an "ip helper-address" function that will allow you send a DHCP request from a different VLAN to the server on the main VLAN that is handing out DHCP leases, which would have to be configured to offer DHCP addresses for that scope/network. It would be much simpler to just have the HDHR on the same network as any backend and devices that plan to use it.

I have no doubt that it would be much simpler to just have the HDHR on the same network, unfortunately the HomeRun devices are too stupid to accept DHCP addresses or to accept a static IP address, which restricts the available options somewhat. Interestingly, an installation of Media Portal / NextPVR in Windows 10 works reasonably well, consequently a Kodi / Tvheadend installation should be fine without the HDHR on the proper LAN. The only drawback is the inability to use the HDHR EPG, but both Media Portal and NextPVR have their own EPG. Same should apply to Kodi / Tvheadend. I'm reading up on LibreELEC and OpenELEC at present as I see no need to run a full operating system just to support Kodi.
HDHR Dual uses the old hdhomerun protocol. Kodi used to support this, but no longer. It has nothing to do with networking, because Kodi can never play direct from a "Dual" model no matter how you set up the network. You need a PVR server that still supports the old protocol.
(2017-03-12, 12:25)Pantsenu Wrote: HDHR Dual uses the old hdhomerun protocol. Kodi used to support this, but no longer. It has nothing to do with networking, because Kodi can never play direct from a "Dual" model no matter how you set up the network. You need a PVR server that still supports the old protocol.

By 'direct' I assume you mean without a backend ?
Which HDHR DUAL in particular are we talking about? I have two HDHR3-US devices that happily accept DHCP addresses.

As far as the EPG goes, I run Argus TV as the backend for my HDHomerun devices, and then scrape TV listings from zap2xml every night at midnight. Works perfect for me
(2017-03-12, 13:43)Daemaz Wrote: Which HDHR DUAL in particular are we talking about? I have two HDHR3-US devices that happily accept DHCP addresses.

As far as the EPG goes, I run Argus TV as the backend for my HDHomerun devices, and then scrape TV listings from zap2xml every night at midnight. Works perfect for me

These HDHRs are the EU/ AU versions but from what I've discovered, the culprit is the borked 20161117 firmware. Unfortunately it doesn't appear possible to downgrade to firmware that doesn't have the DHCP problem. The devices are still usable if direct connected to a PC, main issue is that they cannot use the HDHR EPG.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi / HDHomeRun0