Android Can't play MPEG2 1080i (LiveTV MythTV)
Exclamation 
I'm on Krypton, using Matricom G-Box Q and also a Q2. I've been trying to get Live TV working from a MythTV/HDHomerun CONNECT combo. SD channels work great, 720p channels mostly work, but when I get to 1080i channels it is unwatchable. And this is over Ethernet, no WIFI whatsoever. I figured that MPEG2 was no problem for any kind of device anymore, but I guess I was wrong. I really need this working and I've been mostly happy with the Android boxes and I'm in no hurry to go back to building Windows boxes but this is really weird that in 2017 you have a device that can't decode MPEG2 smoothly. It's as if it is not hardware decoding it. Both checkboxes are checked for that (hardware acceleration and the one with (surface) as well). I tried unchecking them as well.

The HDHomerun video add-on was equally useless. It got the aspect ratio completely wrong on the 1080i channels (way too wide) and mangled it even worse.

Is this a build issue? Is there a better Android box with a more Kodi acceleration compatible codec?
I think this device has a AMLogic S802 Chipset, if that is the case Flash LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on to a Samsung EVO or Sandisk Class 10 microSDHC card and be done with it. Android is not going to help you one bit.

If it has an AMLogic S912 Chipset - no help for you - worst Android combo box on the market - sell the box to some other unsuspecting victim person.

Forget about Android Kodi Krypton completely on unsupported cheap AMLogic Android boxes. You will be chasing your tail. Its because the Firmware is not up to the task to support Kodi Krypton properly. We cannot help you with Firmware.

You need to use LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - particularly when it concerns anything to do with TV on AMLogic Krypton boxes. Its a far far superior setup. You can even dual boot.
Follow this link:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-5274.html

The Gbox q is S802, the Gbox q2 is S812.

Have many question about this LibreELEC. Does this then ONLY run Kodi or is Netflix or others available? Once flashed, do you have to flash every time a new Kodi comes out or just load Kodi application only? Finally, the remote control - this was a huge deal. i currently use a combination of the onboard IR and also FLIRC. How does this work? Any basic information page would help. Don't seem to find too much (only started searching right now though) except how to flash.
TV will work properly using amcodec Hardware decoding and Hardware deinterlacing with Kodi Jarvis only when using AMLogic Android.

LibreELEC is Kodi only - no Android Apps.

It can be dual booted off a micro SDHC card and you retain the Android OS internally unless you want it overwritten.

All remotes inc. FLIRC will work.

Do some self reading on LibreELEC on the Wiki:

https://wiki.libreelec.tv/index.php?title=Main_Page

By the way, my GBOX Q S802 platform (not the Q2, S812) works completely fine on an alternate player that rhymes with 'XBMC' that has kept support of amcodec up.
wrxtasy-
Thank you for the advice. I ordered a real El-Cheapo generic S905 1GB RAM box (Sunnzo S905, $40) from Amazon yesterday. I will see if it can run LE or not. I will update this thread. It has an optical out for audio for my Denon surround sound AV amp, but only 100Mbps Ethernet. As I am not caring so much (yet) about 4K, 100Mbps is plenty. In fact, 100Mbps should be plenty for even some 4K I would assume in H.264 but even no problem on H.265.

By the way, I've been able to get both Matricom GBox Q and Q2 boxes to work with SPMC. The Q with 16.6, the Q2 with 16.5.x (16.6 froze entire box on 1080i MPEG 2 on the Q2).

However, the real trick is to get everything to work on Kodi 17 going forward so let's see how this new one handles LE.
Ok, still haven't tried LE but Kodi 17.1 works great! Again, only 1080i MPEG2, 1080p H.264 is the limit of testing - Dolby/DTS passthru 5.1

The 1080i was a little weird. I had to go to each 1080i channel and adjust the zoom factor because it appeared way too squished and wide. Once I did that, Kodi remembered those settings for each of those channels. There is a very very slight hesitation on 1080i not seen on 720p (MPEG2 not H264), but only i seem to notice it. The wife thinks it's great.

The version with the optical is out of stock at Amazon but the one with coax SPDIF is there for $36.99!!!

Next post on here should be regarding LE compatibility. Also, this thing is super tiny. 4.5x4.5x1 inch. Very light too.

Fair warning: the Kodi it came with came loaded with LOTS of 3rd party plugins. Nothing I haven't seen before but buyer beware.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't play MPEG2 1080i (LiveTV MythTV)0