LiveTV vs. Recorded & Dolby 5.1
I'm not sure if this is a new issue (i.e. Kodi 17.1) or I just didn't notice this before ..

When playing a live show broadcast in DD 5.1 via Kodi it gets passed as PCM Stereo audio. When I go back to the recording of the same show (recorded as part of the Live stream ), the DD 5.1 is picked up and it is sent as HDMI passthrough to my receiver.

Is there a configuration for this? I was always under the impression that Kodi was utilizing the Live recording to pass the live tv anyway, so I'm not sure the difference and why I would only receive the DD5.1 with the recorded video.

Thanks .. couldn't find any old topics on this so apologies in advance if this is a repost.
No, it's a new "feature" of video player because it's apparently too hard to keep the audio and video synced, not that it's all that good right now on my pi2. Hopefully they will reinstate passthrough for live TV in the future. I miss it too.

Sent from my Moto G (4)
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
hm.. that's odd .. i wasn't having any problem with it previously .. do you have a link to the release notes where this is called out, would be great to be able to override this 'new' feature.
You can't override it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Nickr is right, there is nothing you can do about. Personally, I'm beyond disappointed with this kind of feature regression. I use mythtv as well and I have serious audio sync issues, and I don't know why. I suspect it could be that my hdhomerun boxes are feeding a subperfect stream due the distance between me and the transmitter site, but my setup hasn't changed in years. I get all kinds of freezes and unresponsive behavior from my rpi2 these days. My wife hates it now. I've tried everything, but "waiting for threads to exit" seems popular in the log when stopping playback. Pausing and skipping is a game of Russian roulette too. CPU usage is much higher than it used to be with omxplayer. I'm hesitant to blame the mythpvr plugin, because it has worked well for years. Plus, it blows up just as much when watching recordings which don't actually stream through the plugin, as I understand it. I think it's all related to videoplayer.

Sent from my Moto G (4)
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
I've gone back to 16. It works, so why break it. I will spend more time with the skins, switched to mimic which is pretty good, just a little big for my liking. It's a shame as I did like Estuary, but with this capability removed and the other minor audio sync issues introduced with 17 .. not sure it's worth it.
Well you can still get 5.1 audio as PCM to your AVR so their is no loss of functionality, unless you only have SPDIF pathway. Even then you can re-encode to ac3 and get 5.1.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
that doesn't seem to be working. I'm only getting PCM 2/0/0 from Kodi (firetv) -> AVR. Only able to get it with passthrough for some reason. Not sure why as signal is DD 5.1 coming into kodi. All settings are correct that I can see, 5.1 speaker config, AC3, E-AC3 support, etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
LiveTV vs. Recorded & Dolby 5.10