Silencing Case & Video Card Downgrade
I have an older system that I turned into a media server and works great. Debated upgrading, getting a board with build in HDMI, but hard to warrant an upgrade when what I have handles everything just fine.

I did swap it out from the 15yr old case it was in because it was a tower with 1x80mm fan, and new power supply because the old one was noisy. The case though, is VERY noisy. Silverstone Grandia G09. It has space for 2x120mm fans on each side and 2x80mm on the rear, and a vent on top, and the back of the main hard drive faces to front bezel, so every bit of noise the components make comes out.

Onboard video would be great but no HDMI on this older board.

I plan to get case dampening for the top and front bezel to help with some of the noise, was looking at car audio dampening because cheaper and thickener/denser than the Silverstone stuff... though interesting that the very noisy case is made by the same place that makes case dampening materials. Smile

CPU fan, stock intel from 8yrs ago I think if replaced with one like this it would reduce some noise.

Video card... I have my old GT 650 Ti Boost dual fan card in the computer which for movies, is overkill. I was looking to swap to a fanless card, like the GeForce GT710 2GB which is a big step down from my card, but should be enough to run movies, correct? Says DirectX12, up to 4K video... looking to stay under $75CAD if possible, and case has space for a full size card so not limited to a low-profile. Any suggestions?

Actually, any suggestions in general... silencing the case, decent quiet CPU fan, cheap fanless video card?

Not looking to spend a lot... else may as well upgrade... but if can keep around $100CAD for some decent sound reduction, that would be great.Every tick and chatter of the hard drive and the cpu/gpu fans just echoes out the sides of that case... very annoying. Looks nice though.
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Storage: WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS - 2x4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ)
Display: 55" TCL 55R615-CA 4K TV
My suggestion would be to just ditch it and get a NAS and a low power client like a RPi or s905 box. You can spend $100 on upgrades but it is still going to be noisy and give off lots of heat. Unless you are using the server for something other than serving files and running Kodi you are just wasting money on electricity.
Just bought the new case, and running 2x3TB drives for media storage, plus the primary drive for the OS/Kodi.

If I switch to a RaspPi deal I'd have to buy that, plus I guess external cases for my drives... wouldn't look near as nice as the new case... also have to learn whatever OS RaspPi uses and try to get my remote to work with my HP iR device, which last time I asked for help when tried out Ubuntu, I got absolutely no where and switched back to Win7.

... just looking for advice on the gpu/noise on my system, not looking to scrap it all and start over again. Smile
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Storage: WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS - 2x4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ)
Display: 55" TCL 55R615-CA 4K TV

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Silencing Case & Video Card Downgrade0