Need advice on replacing OpenElec on Intel NUC
I need the input of the braintrust on picking a replacement OS/platform for my four year old i3 based NUC that is running an older OpenElec release.

I finally updated my Mac to the latest Kodi 17 version and am pretty impressed... it's clearly time to update the Kodi release on the NUC which is running all the way back on Gotham. I haven't updated it since I haven't needed any new features.

OpenElec looks like it's struggling to keep up with Kodi releases. I see that they did release a version in early 2017 but it is based on Kodi 16? I'd really like to be on the latest if possible.

What are my other alternatives? I've run XBMC on Windows before and was not very happy with the experience. All I use the NUC for is XBMC as I have other media devices for everything else. The NUC is connected to a pretty good Denon AVR and a nice 65" Panasonic Plasma. I play movies on the NUC to as accurately as possible reproduce the original Blu-rays I rip from.

Thanks for any input from the community.
OpenElec is pretty much dead. Most of the developers have moved to https://libreelec.tv/
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2017-03-14, 22:40)Dangelus Wrote: OpenElec is pretty much dead. Most of the developers have moved to https://libreelec.tv/

I looked briefly into libreelec but it looked like it was primarily focused on the Raspberry PI.

It's not totally clear from their installation tool if they have a direct install version for the NUC similar to OpenElec. Is it just the x86 generic version?

Thanks.

//edit, googling "intel nuc libreelec" might be giving me what I need, but would still love to hear of what the experience is like for those who are running libre on a NUC. Thanks!
(2017-03-14, 22:44)voip-ninja Wrote: I looked briefly into libreelec but it looked like it was primarily focused on the Raspberry PI.

It's not totally clear from their installation tool if they have a direct install version for the NUC similar to OpenElec. Is it just the x86 generic version?

Thanks.

//edit, googling "intel nuc libreelec" might be giving me what I need, but would still love to hear of what the experience is like for those who are running libre on a NUC. Thanks!

yes, you would use the Generic x86_64 version, just like you did with OE. All other NUC users have likely migrated and been using it without issue for the better past of the last year; you're one of the few remaining holdouts.
(2017-03-14, 22:53)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-03-14, 22:44)voip-ninja Wrote: I looked briefly into libreelec but it looked like it was primarily focused on the Raspberry PI.

Thanks.

yes, you would use the Generic x86_64 version, just like you did with OE. All other NUC users have likely migrated and been using it without issue for the better past of the last year; you're one of the few remaining holdouts.

Thanks Matt.

I do remember that with the older Gotham releases it took quite a lot of fudging around to get the color space and audio bitstream to work right. I think that the amount of effort that went into that and seeing that nothing had been changed to improve any of that is probably one of the reasons I have held out for so long.

I created the LibreElec installer pretty easily so I'll give it a go. Hopefully the end result is not opening a new thread with "fill in the blank doesn't work".

Rofl
You can actually upgrade to LibreElec directly from an Openelec install as far as I'm aware.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2017-03-14, 22:54)voip-ninja Wrote: Thanks Matt.

I do remember that with the older Gotham releases it took quite a lot of fudging around to get the color space and audio bitstream to work right. I think that the amount of effort that went into that and seeing that nothing had been changed to improve any of that is probably one of the reasons I have held out for so long.

I created the LibreElec installer pretty easily so I'll give it a go. Hopefully the end result is not opening a new thread with "fill in the blank doesn't work".

Rofl

we're a long ways from Gotham my friend ;-)
(2017-03-14, 22:56)Dangelus Wrote: You can actually upgrade to LibreElec directly from an Openelec install as far as I'm aware.

I just did a clean install, cuz, living dangerously!

Angry
Hey guys, since everyone has been so helpful, what's the state of 23.976 playback in these latest builds? Do I just enable sync to video source in the settings to get this working? My TV performs best with BD content at that frame-rate as otherwise I get pretty noticeable motion artifacts. Does turning this on wreck HD audio playback?

Thanks
(2017-03-15, 00:25)voip-ninja Wrote: Hey guys, since everyone has been so helpful, what's the state of 23.976 playback in these latest builds? Do I just enable sync to video source in the settings to get this working? My TV performs best with BD content at that frame-rate as otherwise I get pretty noticeable motion artifacts. Does turning this on wreck HD audio playback?

Thanks

you set 'Adjust display refresh rate' to 'On start/stop.' Setting 'Sync playback to display' won't work with passthru audio (and thus break HD audio) and tells you as much in the setting itself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need advice on replacing OpenElec on Intel NUC0