Cultural Imperialism
(2017-03-16, 17:13)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-03-16, 16:54)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2017-03-16, 14:49)trogggy Wrote: Wouldn't that need repeating every time the skin updated?

So? you simply create a copy and do a diff with the new version, takes about a minute of your time.
I guess if you like doing things the hard way that would be fine.

Really? I'm not sure what could be easier than loading 2 files into a program such as diffmerge to create a new mergered file.
(2017-03-16, 17:29)Hidentity Wrote: I'd like the choice to opt out rather than just accept the unbidden transition

As I said before, you do indeed have that choice due to the customisable way Kodi works, so for language this is in the form of strings.po files that the Kodi core program has and each skin has. These strings.po files are simple xml files that can easily be edited in any text editor, so it's very simple to change what word gets display if the language files don't suit your particular preferences.
(2017-03-16, 14:34)Hidentity Wrote: Also, might it be possible to offer the choice of exchanging Songs for Tracks? A song is piece of music with vocals. Most of my music is without.

I'm a native born, U.S. citizen, and I agree with this one, wholeheartedly.

(2017-03-16, 14:34)Hidentity Wrote: Thomas - Life President of the Fuddyduddlian League

Shouldn't your title be Prime Minister? Or perhaps something a bit more monarchal? Wink
Kodi Nexus on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 20.04 | Kodi Nexus on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
Well I believe the original term was "Moving Pictures" which then developed into "Motion Pictures" so as "Movies" derives from that original term it has far more heritage than use of the word "film" Wink
(2017-03-16, 23:22)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2017-03-16, 17:13)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-03-16, 16:54)jjd-uk Wrote: So? you simply create a copy and do a diff with the new version, takes about a minute of your time.
I guess if you like doing things the hard way that would be fine.

Really? I'm not sure what could be easier than loading 2 files into a program such as diffmerge to create a new mergered file.
Choosing a skin that does it for you - set it up once and forget it.
I haven't seen 'Movies' on my homescreen for years, unless I've dropped into confluence / estuary to test something.
Then again maybe if I was only running one copy of kodi on 1 machine and didn't care about any other view customizations - and unless I've misunderstood didn't mind repeating it every now and again - it would sound like a better idea.
(2017-03-16, 23:35)MetalChris Wrote: Shouldn't your title be Prime Minister? Or perhaps something a bit more monarchal? Wink

Both would be far too much work. The Life President of the FDL just has to open a garden fete now and again.
(2017-03-16, 18:04)Hidentity Wrote:
(2017-03-16, 17:46)prawnee Wrote:
(2017-03-16, 17:29)Hidentity Wrote: I find to be a vulgar, soulless and depressing term: the blurt expression of an insufferable, homogenising, drossy global corporate culture. Just hates it I do.

Huh The term has been around since the turn of the last century. You're a bit late to the party.

Yes, but until the internet revolution it was largely confined to the borders of the USA. That said, if you read Patrick Hamilton's London Trilogy you'll see it was being used in the UK in the late 1920s. Nevertheless, it's only become the predominant term in the UK during the last ten years or so.

Nah to busy watching movies to read Tongue Also when we have such words as brexit becoming part of our lexicon the term movie pales in comparison.
(2017-03-16, 23:46)jjd-uk Wrote: Well I believe the original term was "Moving Pictures" which then developed into "Motion Pictures" so as "Movies" derives from that original term it has far more heritage than use of the word "film" Wink

There are some who might suggest that the Lumiere brothers were the first to popularise the medium with their cinematographe and their cinematic film presentations. Which became better known as Cinema Films. And then just Films.

But which was first or the more important term is for the historians to debate. What I'm arguing, if it's an argument, is that the term film was until very recently more cultural appropriate for British English. And that it'd be nice for those of us who feel that Movies is a cultural imposition to have a choice.

As evidence to support my contention that term film has a greater claim in the UK I ask you to consider the BBFC. Or the British Board of FILM Classification / Censors. Which has been rating and restricting public presentations since 1912. On the other side of the Atlantic a similar job has and is being done by the (MPAA) Motion Picture Association of America. Where the term Movies is more a natural fit. At least it feels like that for many of us who came of age before the tides of global culture swept through this little island.

All that said, I'm not entirely sure what I've started. I was only looking to fill 10 mins while copying some files from one NAS to another. My apologies if this gets out of hand.
I wouldn't use the BBFC as an example. It was originally Censors rather then Classification after all.
As Vice President of the same organisation (self appointed) I agree. The solutions have been offered though, and you can call your Pictures Photographs and your Movies Films if you do a bit of work.

Perhaps you should join the translation team and create language files for en-GBfuddly so we can all use them.

As my father says "you can call me anything you like as long as it's not late for breakfast".
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-03-17, 00:56)Hidentity Wrote:
(2017-03-16, 23:46)jjd-uk Wrote: Well I believe the original term was "Moving Pictures" which then developed into "Motion Pictures" so as "Movies" derives from that original term it has far more heritage than use of the word "film" Wink

There are some who might suggest that the Lumiere brothers were the first to popularise the medium with their cinematographe and their cinematic film presentations. Which became better known as Cinema Films. And then just Films.

I think it is dangerous to bring the damned French into this.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-03-17, 01:05)nickr Wrote: I think it is dangerous to bring the damned French into this.
Je suis d'accord.
As said easily changeable if you so want.

It also seems like there's a few us who've had 10 minutes to spare today, as I've been doing a slight bit of leg pulling Smile
Our patron:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_of_New_Zealand
(2017-03-17, 00:03)trogggy Wrote: Choosing a skin that does it for you - set it up once and forget it.

Ah but then you restrict yourself to the skins that do that instead of having the full choice of skins to choose from Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cultural Imperialism2