Audio: Bluetooth vs Passthrough
I have my PC connected to an AVR through S/PDIF and use Kodi's passthrough option to allow the AVR to decode DD and DTS. I've recently added a Bluetooth transmitter (Avantree Leaf) so I can use BT headphones, and it shows up as a USB sound card. I can switch the Windows default playback device between S/PDIF and the new "Speakers" device with a hotkey. When I start WMC, it picks up on this, but Kodi does not. Kodi continues to send encoded formats to the AVR. How to solve? (To be clear, I'm switching devices when neither program is running.)
You need to change the playback device in Kodi settings, and yes you can do that programmatically.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Could use a pointer. I didn't see a built-in function for it or anything obvious in JSON-RPC docs.
@nickr might be referring to Settings>System Settings>Audio then change the Audio Output device.
Nick said "programmatically". I guess I could do it with profiles, but I'd still be interested to know how to do it programmatically.
There are a number of threads on changing audio outputs (and other settings) via JSON, which is easily adaptable to be done from other software (via JSON call using curl etc) or via a remote control button press. If I can find the threads I'll post again.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Try this one http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=192263&page=4
A bit of lateral thinking: this video shows how to run one audio device as a slave to another. Note there will be a delay between the two devices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV46UXLsVW4

You might therefore be able to output to both devices simultaneously and use only the one you want.

Andy
Thanks Nick!
An approach that doesn't involve changing Kodi settings is to disable Dolby Digital and DTS in the S/PDIF Playback Device's "Supported Formats" section. Apparently Kodi determines passthrough can't work under the circumstances, so it then uses the default audio output device, which I also have to change to "Speakers". I can do all this in Autohotkey as a simple toggle. Not too bad.
(2017-05-05, 09:28)crawfish Wrote: An approach that doesn't involve changing Kodi settings is to disable Dolby Digital and DTS in the S/PDIF Playback Device's "Supported Formats" section. Apparently Kodi determines passthrough can't work under the circumstances, so it then uses the default audio output device, which I also have to change to "Speakers". I can do all this in Autohotkey as a simple toggle. Not too bad.
 Thinking about this again, why does "Passthrough" override the default audio device when I've selected "WASAPI Default" or "Directsound Default"? If Kodi followed the default Windows audio device, I wouldn't have to bring up the Sound control panel and automate the disabling of those formats with a keystroke sequence using Autohotkey. I could just change the default Windows audio device.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio: Bluetooth vs Passthrough0