IPVanish and other VPN Services
Hi,
I am based in the UK and an using an Android Kodi set top box. I have recently installed IP Vanish for anti-virus and security reasons, howeverI notice that this has halved my broadband speed. When I disable IPVanish my throughput is approx 26 Meg, with IP vanish enable it is around 13 meg. I expected some slowdown due to the rerouting of traffic through the VPN gateway server and then to my Cable Modem, but this seems excessive. I have tweaked my IP configuration to the "use the best server" option but this still does not help. Currently my VPN server is in my local Surrey area just a few miles away from my home, so I cannot see this distance as causing the issue. This obviously has an effect on my streaming operations, with movies sometimes freezing and having to be restarted. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue with IPVanish and knows how to work around it, or is using another VPN service that gives better performance than this?

Thanks and Regards
Sprogg999
Thread moved to off-topic.

Take a close look at the logo at the top of the page - does it say IPVanish? Would you go to their boards and ask about a Kodi issue?

If you want to use such a service that's up to you, but we do not support it. That's their job and what you presumably pay them for.

Oh and a VPN has nothing to do with anti-virus and won't do anything if you're surfing on the dodgy end of the net. And if you're using it for security, why aren't you using it to post here?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I used to use IPVanish and I had problems with their program really bogging my system down. Even with 16gigs of ram I could tell when that damn program was running. Now, as far as connection speeds, I didn't see as big a loss as you. Since using them I have switched over to Private Internet Access. I connect from San Diego, California and for the last 5 months I cannot see a difference in speed between the two, but their program to connect(BOTH use openVPN I believe) doesn't bog my system down. I definitely recommend PIA!

*As a side note, sign up for one month, but cancel your account before it renews. When you reach your last day you will be given ~1 week of free usage and then an email a day or two later asking you to sign back up at a discounted rate that doesn't increase after a certain period of time. IIRC, I'm paying less than $6 a month for my vpn. Smile Let me know if you decide to give it a shot and what you thought!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IPVanish and other VPN Services0