v17 How do I get a high quality DVD rip?
I have recently started using KODI as I am planning on backing up my entire DVD collection on backup servers. However, I notice that every time I rip a dvd (I have tried Handbrake, Clonedvd2 when experimenting with rips), I notice that the quality is poor and not up to snuff with the quality of the actual DVD. What program should I use to properly rip DVDs so that I can enjoy them without the picture looking pixel-y and washed out?
Use makemkv - that doesn't re-encode, so you get a 1:1 copy of the file(s). Your choice whether you rip the whole lot or just the main movie.

Alternatively, you could rip the whole disc as ISO - how to do that depends on your OS - but that would give you a perfect copy of the whole disc.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
+1 for the Professor. MakeMKV will get the job done.
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
I use copy-paste
If space is not an issue then yes makemkv for sure.

I use makemkv to get if off the DVD. Then I use ffmpeg to make it smaller.

You can read about it here...

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.264 ... using a crf rate of 17 or 18

You could also use quantization values something like qmin 10 qmax 50.
Running Kodi on Arch 64bit Linux (Leia 18.9) ,  Android Nougat (Leia 18.9) CoreELEC (S905 community builds Leia 18.9)
Handbrake works for me.
Kodi Matrix on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 22.04 | Kodi Matrix on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
>>>>> Newest MetalChris Addons: Local Now | Redbox | NEWSnet| NHL Radio | Weather Unlocked

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I get a high quality DVD rip?0