IR (infrared) remote control support under Mac OS X?
Question 
Affini Wrote:Jon Rhees - the developer of USB-UIRT has given me the driver code for Linux and OSX.

I have posted it here

I'm hoping someone can make an OSX driver for it? Cool
Would it not be better to integrate that into LIRC and then use LIRC in XBMC so that we do not have to use two IR libraries?

Huh
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamester17 Wrote:Would it not be better to integrate that into LIRC and then use LIRC in XBMC so that we do not have to use two IR libraries?

Huh

Maybe, I'm no expert here. In the 7z file is Jon Rhees' comments but here's an excerpt...

Quote:There are two ways to work with the USB-UIRT on Linux. First, a user wrote support for the USB-UIRT into Linux's LIRC program. However, I do *not* recommend using this route since it is difficult to set up and does not use Pronto-style codes, etc.
The second method is to use the Linux shared library (attached) which implements the same API as the Windows. You should be able to use the sample Linux app (attached) as a point of reference.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Gamester17 Wrote:Would it not be better to integrate that into LIRC and then use LIRC in XBMC so that we do not have to use two IR libraries?

Huh

I have looked at LIRC. There is LIRC support for OS X but as best as I can tell only as a client pointing to another lircd, ie there is no driver support. If you google around, you can see people talking about getting LIRC working on the Mac Mini but in 100% of the cases I could find they are talking about Linux on a Mac Mini.

I'm sure it's probably possible to get LIRC working properly on OS X, I just don't know if it's going to be worth the trouble. I also worry that even if we did get it working it would maybe require patching the OS X kernel or something crazy like that....
Jon Rhees' does not recommend using LIRC. I'm hoping someone takes on integrating the library provided.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
I don't know if it helps, but I have been trying the Apple Remote on my Mac Mini with the Sofa Control script posted elsewhere.

Seems to work really well, so far!

cjc

Rofl
renegade Wrote:Well anyone who has a Keyspan Express, I just ported it for XBMC.

Works awesome.

Can you forward a listing of which buttons you mapped to which keyboard keys? I too looked at the Keyspan Express but it seems to be lacking enough keys.

Can you advise which model Express you have. Seems there are three version. Who current models and one discontinued.

Thanks much.
Aman Wrote:For sending IR signals on Mac, IRTrans bundled with iRed may be the best solution.

For simply receiving commands through the built-in IR receiver iRed Lite works really well. It supports Apple Remote ID's, so you can have 1280 discrete codes! 2304 codes are possible if you utilize long button presses!!! Remote Buddy has the same abilities, but iRed Lite is free and works well for me.

-Aman

Except that the IRTrans/iRed is $109 while iRedLite doesn't seem to work with anything or then the Apple Remote.

Sigh. No one good option.
jeremymc7 Wrote:Can you forward a listing of which buttons you mapped to which keyboard keys? I too looked at the Keyspan Express but it seems to be lacking enough keys.

Can you advise which model Express you have. Seems there are three version. Who current models and one discontinued.

Thanks much.

There is only one model of Keyspan Express... HERE

Basically I just mapped each control key I thought I would use. Some of the button labels dont match exactly there printed function, but its is easy enough to figure out what you prefer.

It has 16 programmable buttons, not sure how many more than that you could need.
24" iMac aluminum(late 2007) 2.4GHz C2D 4GB RAM Radeon HD2600
Mac Mini(early 2008) 2.0GHz C2D 2GB RAM Intel GMA 950
Macbook (late 2007) 2.16Ghz C2D 4GB RAM Intel GMA 950
renegade Wrote:Well anyone who has a Keyspan Express, I just ported it for XBMC.

Works awesome.

If you use this remote, you can actually set up a buttone, for me the cycle button * , to a global action that will open XBMC upon being pressed. Works Great! Even on my Logitech harmony 880.
Hi All,

Could someone list the mapped keystrokes to the different buttons that makes sense for XBMC? Volume is less important.. unless this could be done with long presses.. (?)

I am going to set it up with MIRA..
http://twistedmelon.com/mira/screenshots.html

cheers,

krux
krux Wrote:Hi All,

Could someone list the mapped keystrokes to the different buttons that makes sense for XBMC? Volume is less important.. unless this could be done with long presses.. (?)

I am going to set it up with MIRA..

cheers,

krux

forgot to add an essential detail. I am talking about the apple remote..

sorry.. but couldn't edit my previous post..

krux
krux Wrote:I am going to set it up with MIRA..
Not much point I'm affraid as Mira does not fully support Leopard and the developer has gone AWOL. RemoteBuddy seems a better option...
i would love to use remote buddy, but it doesn't let me configure the buttons with the keyspan receiver i've got.. . Sad

mira seems to be the better choice.. and it seems to work fine with leo.
krux Wrote:mira seems to be the better choice.. and it seems to work fine with leo.
Well if it works for you then great. BTW, why are you not using the keyspan software to define the buttons?
Question 
i didn't know that i could map the keys from an apple remote with the keyspan receiver software....

anyway you were right about mira, seemed to work fine but in fact it didn't so i trashed it, and got remote buddy. how do i set it up to work with XBMC? i cant seem to add xbmc to the app control list.. Undecided

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IR (infrared) remote control support under Mac OS X?1