Kodi 17 stopped working
Hi,

Yesterday when i started Kodi (i am running the version from windows store) it refused to play anything. I even tried to uninstall/install and even remove the whole
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p
+ my old folder (which i dont think the Universal app uses)
%APPDATA%\Kodi

Looking into log file i see this but no idea what it refers to:
20:40:24 T:6820 ERROR: dllFreeLibrary - Invalid hModule specified

I did update my GPU driver in between but cant see why it would destroy kodi.

To fix it i basically removed the windows app + app the kodi folders and started fresh. I downloaded the nightly build and added my content from start and it worked.
Personally i like version 16.1 much more. The gui is more suited for windows + mouse/keyboard. Also as much as i like the idea behind universal apps my experience has been that they are not as stable as regular windows apps. Hope you guys dont abandon having it.

Here is the logfile
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33591942/kodi.log

One last question, in the nightly build folder i see 3 different endings, which one should users download? I tried the one with "Krypton" in the end but not sure if that is correct?

KodiSetup-20170319-e6285d881b-Krypton.exe
KodiSetup-20170315-5814568453-win.exe
KodiSetup-20170317-2f23225500-master.exe

Thanks for the awesome program and your continued development. I still think you guys should make some sort of premium version like Plex for more revenue to support your great work.
It seems you have installed Banned add-ons (wiki) installed, so you won't get any support here unless you want to remove them.
Now that you mention it i did try a few add-ons a while ago (didnt know they were banned) just to play with add-ons but i actually never used them so they are removed (and i actually never used them since they were crap).
Is that why Kodi stopped working ?
If so then its fine since i wanted to clean up all the changes i had done before, i was/am learning how to add repository and such so i dont remember all the steps to remove all my changes. Starting fresh is better Smile

I have played with 17.1 for an hour now and i see the benefit, i played with the settings so it works much like i'm used to from before. Its really clean and smooth.

Can you please let me know which of the builds i should use though.
(2017-03-21, 14:37)vampyren Wrote: Is that why Kodi stopped working ?
Could be the reason, but could also be something different.

(2017-03-21, 14:37)vampyren Wrote: Can you please let me know which of the builds i should use though.
Just download Kodi from https://kodi.tv/download/.
(2017-03-21, 15:34)Rechi Wrote:
(2017-03-21, 14:37)vampyren Wrote: Can you please let me know which of the builds i should use though.
Just download Kodi from https://kodi.tv/download/.

Thanks, i dont know how i missed the installer link before, maybe to tired, seems it points to Krypton file.
I'm still interested to know the difference for nightly build, if you know?
Could be helpful incase i need it in the future.

Cheers.
Quote:I'm still interested to know the difference for nightly build

Nightly builds are made on a daily basis and contain the most recent changes. These should be considered unstable for daily usage and should only be used to help us find possible issues to provide more stable monthly builds and in the end a stable final release.
I think Kodi currently has two "branches" active to which official code changes (commits) are made. The Krypton branch though has nothing changed since the release of 17.1 point release, so it could be that Krypton branch is closed (at least for now).

The "Master" branch has code changes for the next version, 18 AKA Leia, which is not yet in an "alpha" stage. Meanwhile, there will from time to time be "special" test builds made that contain code that has not yet been officially entered into the master branch. These generally are intended to test specific changes, not the overall program.

In the "windows" world, best to install nightlies as "portable" builds kept separate from known working or stable releases. That's done by installing to your created folder and use that -p command line switch in a shortcut. Note that "portable" in this context really means that your userdata is stored in the main Kodi exe folder, not windows user location. Kodi still needs specific OS system dll files to be installed in Windows (in particular the vc++ runtime libraries). So you can't just install to a USB stick and expect it to run on a random computer.

scott s.
(2017-03-22, 23:02)scott967 Wrote: I think Kodi currently has two "branches" active to which official code changes (commits) are made. The Krypton branch though has nothing changed since the release of 17.1 point release, so it could be that Krypton branch is closed (at least for now).

The "Master" branch has code changes for the next version, 18 AKA Leia, which is not yet in an "alpha" stage. Meanwhile, there will from time to time be "special" test builds made that contain code that has not yet been officially entered into the master branch. These generally are intended to test specific changes, not the overall program.

In the "windows" world, best to install nightlies as "portable" builds kept separate from known working or stable releases. That's done by installing to your created folder and use that -p command line switch in a shortcut. Note that "portable" in this context really means that your userdata is stored in the main Kodi exe folder, not windows user location. Kodi still needs specific OS system dll files to be installed in Windows (in particular the vc++ runtime libraries). So you can't just install to a USB stick and expect it to run on a random computer.

scott s.

Great info, i'm a computer nerd myself so i like to know these details (old programmer). I also use Macrium Reflect to take images when i try something unstable so that i can role-back without problem. Portable mode is a nice option also, thanks for the tips and how to use it. Will have to read more about it Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17 stopped working1