• 1(current)
Sony Android TV 6.0.1 - Video playback is stuttering KD-55XD8005 / KD-55XE8505
I dont know why, but since some weeks i have huge problems with video playback. I set the TV to factory reset and installed kodi again without any video playback settings. Only passthrough is activated.
Here is a debug log (kodi v16.1): link
Video of the stuttering: link
And a sample of the movie source: Link
Sony KD-65XF9005 ATV 2018 SonyFW [actual crappy / buggy version] - Sony STR-DN1070 - NVIDIA SHIELD TV [2017]
Here is a debug log (kodi v17.1): link
Sony KD-65XF9005 ATV 2018 SonyFW [actual crappy / buggy version] - Sony STR-DN1070 - NVIDIA SHIELD TV [2017]
A sample would help, if possible
(2017-03-29, 08:44)Koying Wrote: A sample would help, if possible

Of course, upload in progress. Can i share it to you via PM? I do not want to share it public way.
Additional information to this issue. Most of other video player also has the stuttering issue, but not MXPlayerPro with activated HW+ decoding for video.
Is it possible to configure kodi to play videos in same way as the MXPlayerPro do?
It looks like MX Player in "HW+" mode uses libstagefright, as does the Sony pre-installed Video app. Both do not suffer from this stuttering issue. Seems to be related to the MediaCodec Java wrapper!?

libstagefright support has been removed from Kodi with Jarvis and I am sure it won't come back Wink .
Tried to remux without audio. Didn't solve the issue.
Isengard plays it just fine. So we have:

SPMC / Kodi 16 Jarvis (MediaCodec): NOK
Kodi 17 Krypton (MediaCodec): NOK
VLC (MediaCodec): NOK
MX Player HW (MediaCodec): NOK

Video (libstagefright): OK
Kodi 15 Isengard (libstagefright): OK
MX Player HW+ (libstagefright): OK

Clearly looks like a MediaCodec issue.

Added info + short sample into my Sony bug list.
Did you try mediacodec non-surface?
I'd be surprised if that one failed and libstagefright worked.
Non-Surface is no option on Sony within Kodi. Video playback is generally and constantly jerky after disabling Surface (plus it disables HW deinterlacing).
Well it's just to understand why libstagefright would be better for some files Wink
If "hw de-interlacing" is off with mediacodec non-surface, it should be the same with libstagefright. Isn't it the case?
Quote: If "hw de-interlacing" is off with mediacodec non-surface, it should be the same with libstagefright. Isn't it the case?
At least not when I play it via Video app. Haven't tried the others.
Quote:Well it's just to understand why libstagefright would be better for some files
Sure. And I tried it even though I knew that it would lead to nowhere. And it didn't as playback of the sample suffered too much anyway from non-surface.

Did you try the sample from within my bug report? It is a short one and perfectly demonstrates the issue. Would be interesting whether SHIELD suffers from the same issue. Suppose not.
At the first moment i was happy using Kodi v15.2. The issue with the huge stuttering do not occur on the old version, but it seems that the TVs MotionFlow do not work. On my 720p movies (not the sample i uploaded) i have a constant 24/25p jerking. The setting MotionFlow has no influence.

I will try "hw de-interlacing" off with mediacodec non-surface setting on spmc v16.6.0 and give a feedback.
Generally i can say, after i tried a lot off video apps, that no app can provide a jerk-free playback as the internal app do.
@Koying, i deactivated only "mediacodec surface" and "de-interlacing" (during video playback in video options). You are right, the problem video could be played without the huge stuttering. But when playing m2ts 1080p50 video it have very much stuttering.
Question: Are there similar issues using a NVidia Shield TV? Can the Shield put videos 1:1 out without 3:2 pulldown using kodi? I think i have to buy an external player, but i want to be sure that i will not have any stuttering issues.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Android TV 6.0.1 - Video playback is stuttering KD-55XD8005 / KD-55XE85051