ODROID C2 vs Mi Box
HI All.
I am torn up between the ODROID C2 and the MI box. Not sure which one to buy.
C2 costs approx $89.99 (AUD) + $57.00 (AUD) EMMC FLASH 16GB = ~ $150 AUD (thats without Wifi ?)
Mi box costs $119 .Period.

I have a 4K HDR TV that i would like to use it on.
I am not hugely fussed on HDR , I dont have any content and i think it will be a while before content in more easily available.

I am after a player that can stream 4K from My NAS. Must be fast and smooth (GUI).
Should I look at AC wireless to aid the 4K streaming ?
Anything else i need to consider for Dolby Atmos 7.1 sound support via and Yamaha receiver ?
Can I load Librelec on Mibox , In case i want an xbmc only flavor ?
AIUI the Mi Box still has major issues - no frame rate switching, poor 23.976p support, and Android only? Don't think you can sideload LibreElec (if you could you'd have proper refresh rate support)

The C2 is best running LibreElec - which will give you high quality replay at all frame rates (including fractional 23.976 stuff). You don't have to go for an eMMC - though a lot of us have. The C2 is GigE - but doesn't have WiFi. To be honest you're always better off with a cabled connection, or possibly PowerLine networks (depends on your house wiring), than WiFi, though in some situations 802.11ac can be very good - though usually this requires multiple antennae/aerials. The built in IR will allow you to use it with many different IR remotes.

The Mi Box is a good solution if you want to stay in the Android TV ecosystem - Netflix etc.

Alternatively - if you don't like the C2 'Raspberry Pi-esque' look - have a look at other S905 boxes. You may prefer them, they'll have integrated NAND (possibly eMMC?) Flash, built in WiFi (though often this is 802.11n 2.4GHz only so not great for streaming high bitrate stuff) and come in a nice box, with a remote control. Often this is cheaper than buying a C2 'with all the bits'. Have a look at the LibreElec S905 threads over at LibreElec.tv
Noggin, pretty well summed it up.

(all S905's use faster (than NAND) internal eMMC Flash storage)

I use these sort of Combos's:
C2 for LibreELEC Kodi Krypton and all video playback including OTA TV viewing. Using a Wireless remote or custom Sony TV - IR programmed remote. GigaE connected only.
Yes even a quality Samsung EVO or Sandisk UHS-1 Class 10 microSDHC is still pretty quick.

Mi Box - Android only for Youtube, Netflix, Spotify and other Android Apps. Really excellent Wireless remote on the Mi Box - the best, well engineered remote I've used in fact when combined with the ATV interface. No LibreELEC on the Mi Box due to locked down Bootloader.
DO NOT use Android Kodi for OTA interlaced TV viewing, LibreELEC Kodi only.

Mi Box should get 4K HDR Netflix support when Android Nougat OS update arrives real soon.

Then you have the WeTek S905 Hub running Marshmallow Firmware - that does a bit of everything. Proper Audio licences and DRM video Approvals - that allow 4K Android TV Netflix (and other ATV Apps) - normal touchscreen Android Apps straight from the Playstore too. Unofficial Android TV ROM - real easy dual boot to LibreELEC using just the remote.

You can pick and choose what you want with WeTek, they are pretty flexible. BUT what WeTek really need to complete the picture is a MINIX like - integrated A2 Lite Wireless remote to complete the picture.

Minimum - AC WiFi for 4K video streaming and a quality AC WiFi Home Router. Netflix has the advantage that it uses DASH (Adaptive) video streaming - if poor WiFi then video quality degrades but usually does not stop. Otherwise use GigaE ethernet for reliable (non DASH) 4K video playback.

C2 / Hub / Play2 have AMLogic S905's that do not support HDR but do have GigaE vs S905x that has HDR support but 100M only Ethernet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID C2 vs Mi Box0