Android KODI on Chromebooks?
Wondering what the current state of this is.
(2017-03-30, 02:15)Topken Wrote: Wondering what the current state of this is.
You can probably double boot LIBREELEC

Sent from my HTC 10
Disregard i misread title. Android Kodi app in Chromebooks is possible and can run from selected Chromebooks with Google Play Store pre-installed but depending on the usage and how picky and technical the end user is, he/she might prefer to dual boot to a dedicated Kodi install like LibreElec.

Sent from my Tapatalk beta Hub
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
If you own a Chromebook that has Google Play Store (and therefore Android apps) support then you can install and run Kodi from there. There have been reports of this working quite nicely.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
I do this on the new Samsung Chromebook
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
How about hardware acceleration?.
Kodi for one side is linux native, then for Android is kind of a port but not Android native and a miracle already with all they have accomplished so far and now running as an Android app on top of limited ChromeOS (linux).
Gee how odd. While for average user that would be the easier way to have it running in the selected Chromebooks, it will not be the ideal.

Am i right?

Sent from my Tapatalk beta Hub
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
Looks like Asus CN62 is the cheapest Chromebox that supports/will support this. (apart from the weird looking CXI2 from Acer).
Probably all future Chromeboxes will support this. If this supports refresh rate switching, then this would be an ideal setup for most people. Espescially since Chrome is accelerated and supports widewine, flash, etc without any tinkering.

Only thing is that ChromeOS doesn't support autologin, so it's not quite ideal...but close.
Thanks you 2 Team-KODI Members that's what I was asking. Glad to hear its working.
For ChromeOS devices with Play Store access, ARM-based devices seem to be running Kodi a bit better than x86-based ones. But both will still lag far behind running natively via LibreELEC (at least for the demanding user), simply because it's using ChromeOS' older kernel/drivers, likely won't have refresh rate switching, HD audio passthru, etc.
(2017-03-31, 06:40)Matt Devo Wrote: For ChromeOS devices with Play Store access, ARM-based devices seem to be running Kodi a bit better than x86-based ones. But both will still lag far behind running natively via LibreELEC (at least for the demanding user), simply because it's using ChromeOS' older kernel/drivers, likely won't have refresh rate switching, HD audio passthru, etc.

Does a chromebook itself really need Hd audio pass through or some of the other TV/ht centric stuff when everything is built into the laptop itself? so for just getting kodi up and running for say either local playback or network playback on a chromebook itself doesn't really need thngs like HD audio passthrough unless you plan on hooking it up to say a ht setup but in that case its easier to just use something like a r PI or any other lo cost machine. I was thinking of a chrombook for playback while mobile. If you already have a chromebook with the playstore already onboard for other tasks. Would be nice to have kodi onboard as well for media playback.
(2017-03-31, 07:00)Topken Wrote:
(2017-03-31, 06:40)Matt Devo Wrote: For ChromeOS devices with Play Store access, ARM-based devices seem to be running Kodi a bit better than x86-based ones. But both will still lag far behind running natively via LibreELEC (at least for the demanding user), simply because it's using ChromeOS' older kernel/drivers, likely won't have refresh rate switching, HD audio passthru, etc.

Does a chromebook itself really need Hd audio pass through or some of the other TV/ht centric stuff when everything is built into the laptop itself? so for just getting kodi up and running for say either local playback or network playback on a chromebook itself doesn't really need thngs like HD audio passthrough unless you plan on hooking it up to say a ht setup but in that case its easier to just use something like a r PI or any other lo cost machine. I was thinking of a chrombook for playback while mobile. If you already have a chromebook with the playstore already onboard for other tasks. Would be nice to have kodi onboard as well for media playback.

No - for standalone laptop use there is little reason to have audio passthrough - and many laptop screens are fixed at a single refresh rate.

However for those Chromebooks with HDMI outputs, some may want to connect them to their home cinema systems. (I used to use my x86 Celeron 2955U-based Chromebook dual-booting into LibreElec precisely this way) In that use case - both HD Audio passthrough and refresh-rate switching become valid issues.
This can be done using a tool called Crouton
https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton

I currently have a pull request that adds a KODI target. This allows you to launch kodi fullscreen inside a crouton.
As soon as this pull request gets merged, crouton will have kodi support Smile
https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton/pull/3277

Crouton is completely different from something like the LibreELEC method. It basically installs ubuntu+kodi inside a chroot that can run along side chrome os.
I've tested with my Acer 720p (from 2013) & Toshiba Chromebook 2 (from 2014). It works great, including h265 videos Smile

I'm going to write a detailed walkthrough as soon as my pull request gets merged.
@zachg I am well ware of how to get linux working on chromebooks/chromeboxes. I was asking about running KODI on the android side of things so that one could use it in a mobile capacity while on the go. AKA got some time to kill watch a video that sort of thing while still keeping the chromeos portion in tact for web browsing and other light work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android KODI on Chromebooks?0