Greek (unicode characters) does not work yet in XBMC for Mac OS X
Sad 
No
I use the latest XBMC 0.1 on a mac mini. Everything works great but I can't get Greek to display correctly both on the menus / filenames and for movie subtitles. I tried changing them from the settings to both ISO and Windows Greek, but did not work.
I opened the XBMC.app package and went to Resources/XBMC/Languages/greek to inspect the xml's and they look fine. I even copied some more ttf fonts from my mac (that support greek) to the media/fonts location but no dice...
I suspect that the language settings are simply ignored by XBMC. Anyone on this?
Did you change the setting within xbmc or just on your mac?
You need to change it in the xbmc settings
edit: That is, of course, if the feature has been implemented yet.
I haven't used XBOX for Mac OS myself so am not sure.
I am not sure but do you first not have to replace arial.ttf with arialuni.ttf (renamed to arial.ttf) in order to add unicode font support before you change the settings in XBMC?

Seach the whole forums for "arialuni.ttf" and you will find much more information about fonts.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Quote:I am not sure but do you first not have to replace arial.ttf with arialuni.ttf (renamed to arial.ttf) in order to add unicode font support before you change the settings in XBMC?

it is indeed what i always had to do to get chinese and japanese to work with xbmc on the original XBOX.
chinese (and unicode) dont work at all for the time being, that is with arial.ttf. i haven't tried myself but as gamester17 mentioned, it will most certainly work by changing arial.ttf with arialuni.ttf.
to enable unicode:
- right click on XBMC.app and choose "view package content"
- go to / media / fonts
- copy arialuni.ttf to this location. authenticate if needed.
- choose arialuni.tf in XBMC settings (appearance > region)
Has anyone actually tried this? It didn't work for me. Please experiment and let me know.

Thanks,

-elan
i cant seem to find this font on the web, otherwise i would try...
in theory it should work! Nod
by the way, in "look and feel", did you change the skin fonts to arialuni?
ok, if you have ms office in osx, arialuni is installed on your computer; it is called arial unicode.ttf. you can find it with spotlight...

i tried to do what i described above. i know it works on the xbox, it is the way to get, for instance, english interface with unicode charset or full chinese interface. well, it doesnt work with 0.1. it does switch to arial unicode, you can see the font seem slightly different after the change. however changing language or charset to chinese doesnt work at all and displays crap.
Sad 
Hi guys! Tried the suggested swap with Arial Unicode.ttf but it didn't work... In the Region settings I can choose between Greek (Windows) and Greek (ISO). Perhaps the problem is the absence of UTF-8? Nerd
just to clearify.

the encoding setting is there for anything that is NOT utf-8.
the entire gui is utf-8. if text is considered to not be utf-8 the charset is used as the source charset in the from-foo-to-utf-8 conversion routines.
OK. Good to know that!
Hopefully this is an easy bug to fix for OSXBMC. NerdNerd
NerdHi. I filed this as an official bug yesterday. It seems to be a problem with all non latin characters:
http://dn-0.com/xbmc-trac/ticket/70
Here is a screenshot of not properly displaying Greek:
I'd just like to add that most characters outside the good old ascii (a-z & A-Z) don't work either when selecting a Language other than english. I've tried my native language, swedish, as well as german and french none of these laguanges special characters are rendered correctly.

I tried to replace the default arial.ttf (and the PMIII FrancophilSans.ttf font) with the Arial Unicode MS one without any luck.

Also, there's a funny 'Â' character between the digits representing the temperature and the temperature unit (F/C) in the weather display. 6 degrees celsius is displayed 6°C instead of 6°C.
I spent a BUNCH of time on this today without any luck so far. Something about the Unicode support isn't agreeing with OS X. I'll keep pounding away at it, but all the "western" European languages should work without replacing any fonts (once I fix the bug!), to the best of my knowledge.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Greek (unicode characters) does not work yet in XBMC for Mac OS X0