Greek (unicode characters) does not work yet in XBMC for Mac OS X
elan_osx: Essentially what you need to do is make sure the strings that enter XBMC are converted to UTF8. On the xbox version, we do a charset->UTF8 conversion in FileHD/HDDirectory - this is probably not required on OSX?? The charset selection defines the source charset (i.e. what the filesystem is feeding us).

Once the string is in UTF8, XBMC takes care of conversion to UTF16 for rendering.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

In an attempt to help out as I suspect this problem might be twofold, here are some more input on this issue:

First, our 'test data' for this session will be the swedish word for 'weather' which is 'väder'. That 'ä' is a regular 'a' with two dots above it.

After changing the language (in Settings->Appearance->Region->Language) to swedish the part of the main XBMC screen look like this:

After this I create a folder called 'Väder' in my local ~/Movies/ folder on my Mac:

When browsing to this folder it's displayed as:

To complicate this even further I create a similar 'Väder' folder on my main media server which is a Windows share:

After I have mounted this smb volume manually in the Finder, XBMC displays this folder as:

In other words it's back to how XBMC displayed 'Väder' on the main screen.

So I guess the conclusion is:
  • none of these examples shows the 'ä' character correctly
  • filenames on a mac volume are displayed differently from those on smb shares

Hopefully this info is somewhat helpful.

Cheers,
Michael
jmarshall Wrote:elan_osx: Essentially what you need to do is make sure the strings that enter XBMC are converted to UTF8. On the xbox version, we do a charset->UTF8 conversion in FileHD/HDDirectory - this is probably not required on OSX?? The charset selection defines the source charset (i.e. what the filesystem is feeding us).

Once the string is in UTF8, XBMC takes care of conversion to UTF16 for rendering.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thanks for writing. In my explorations today, I was mostly looking at RSS feeds (just to focus on a particular instance of the problem). The strings are in perfect UTF-8, and then get converted via iconv to WCHAR_T (where Windows/XBox use UTF-16LE). This seemed a bit odd, although it seems to work for regular ASCII, but other characters don't end up right. I'm not sure where the problem is exactly (yet).

So conversion to UTF-8 may be one problem, but there's also a problem with characters once they're in UTF-8. Ah, I18N, what a lovely thing.

-elan
iMist Wrote:In an attempt to help out as I suspect this problem might be twofold, here are some more input on this issue:

Thanks a bunch, Michael, very helpful.

-elan
I found part of the problem. On linux, the iconv destination encoding is "WCHAR_T". That means “the system dependent and locale dependent wide character encoding”. If that doesn't sound portable, it's because it's not. On OS X this ends up converting to UTF-8, which is exactly what XBMC doesn't want. Hence the multi-character garbage for each non-ASCII character!

However, when I change it to convert to UTF-16LE (like Windows), something goes wrong (must be someone else messing with the string?), because then we get only every other character printed.

Very strange, and damn frustrating.
Elan, don't let that stupid bug bring you down! Perhaps you should ask another friendly mac developer on Twitter or sth. Seems easier than messing with Apple Developer's Q&A. Eek
http://www.osxbmc.com/2008/02/24/finally...ont-issue/

I haven't tried anything with the huge Unicode font for Greek, but give it a try with the next release, it will probably work for you!

-elan
I will but it seems like you nailed it! Can't wait for the next release Nod
This issue solved in XBMC on Mac?
I'm using 8.10 Atlantis. In Menu, I can see Korean character. But in broswing files, I have a problem. Korean letters are decomposed in filename.

I tried plex and it works well and no problem.
mrhjkim Wrote:This issue solved in XBMC on Mac?
I'm using 8.10 Atlantis. In Menu, I can see Korean character. But in broswing files, I have a problem. Korean letters are decomposed in filename.

I tried plex and it works well and no problem.

I found exactly same bug.
I report a bug in trac.

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5924
Just for the record, this bug has been reported already. somehow I could not find the bug report with my bad search ;p
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5658

I sent a message to elan, since plex doesn't have this specific bug.
It was originally "fixed" within the XBMC source tree, given the date of elan's post above.

Give full details as to how to reproduce it, for non-korean, english-only plebs such as myself, and we'll take a look. It may be a simple regression that hasn't been identified as yet.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:It was originally "fixed" within the XBMC source tree, given the date of elan's post above.

Give full details as to how to reproduce it, for non-korean, english-only plebs such as myself, and we'll take a look. It may be a simple regression that hasn't been identified as yet.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I appreciate your interest on the bug. I didn't think about the situation more carefully.
Now, I add a zip on trac which have files with korean letters.
I think the bug I am talking about may not be the same bug elan fixed here.
I just choose similar thread because I don't know exact nature of the bug.

Thanks,
Youngcho

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Greek (unicode characters) does not work yet in XBMC for Mac OS X0