Best PVR hardware backend?
Hi all,

I am in the process of testing Kodi with NextPVR and its working quite well.

I am running next PVR on my Kodi device and thinking of moving to a more back-end centralized model so that other clients can leverage the PVR streams.

At this stage I am thinking about two options

1. HDhomerun + Intel NUC as my back end PVR hardware
2. Dedicated Quad card + small form PC.

I am curious to get your thoughts. Form factor is important for me as I have a 18RU server rack with limited space (Yes this is in my home) Smile

I plan to store all the recordings onto my NAS so that all clients have access.

Any thoughts would be ace
You can share with your present setup. Just install nextpvr kodi clients on your other networked kodi devices.

What is best out of your options depends how many tuners you want. (Although you can use two hdhrs to get 4 tuners). The good thing about the hdhr is that you don't need your antenna feed to be near your server.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm using a nuc as a backend/frontend (Mythtv not nextpvr) with a hdhomerun prime. Works great, plenty of horsepower to record 3 hd shows at a time while playing on 2 frontends. The hdhomerun handles the transcoding so as you probably know already speed of your home network is the most important factor
Thanks for feedback Smile

My Present setup at this stage will be 2 or 3x NUC Kodi Front-end boxes.

I already have the antenna cable terminated at my server cabinet, so I have the option for 2x HD homeruns with a back-end server or I could just connect HD homerun to the front end clients.

I have done some basic tests on next PVR to confirm that it wakes up the NUC form sleep and it seems to work quite well...

Are most people running their PVR on the same box Frontend / backend? or does it really depend on how many tuners / streams they want to offer
I'm using the vbox tv gateway, it's very powerful and can record directly to NAS or works with MythTV and others
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1724
http://www.vboxcomm.com/vbox-3rd-gen-tv-gateway

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best PVR hardware backend?0