Solved FAILED - Upgrade to Kodi 17 on Ubuntu 16.04
Yesterday, I attempted to update some things on my (rarely used) Ubuntu 16.04 system. All went well except for my attempts to upgrade the installed Kodi to 17.0. While attempting this however, I ran into the three separate serious and unexpected problems which I described below. Unforunately, I have only been able to work my way past the first two of these problems, so I could use some advice and help to get past the third problem.

Problem #1)

Not being all that familiar with Ubuntu, I followed the simple directions on the following web page in order to try to upgrade Kodi to 17.0:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2017...ntu-16-10/

This resulted in failure. I don't remember the exact message that was produced in the little Software Updater pop-up window, but I have sliced out on the apparently relevant portion of the /var/log/apt/term.log file and placed a copy of that here:

https://pastebin.com/raw/rMif0bRz

As can be seen in this file, it appears that the new Kodi did not wish to overwrite a couple of files that had been installed as part of my prior Kodi installation. (I have no idea why this would be the case, and would appreciate being enlightened about that, but in any case I think that I can safely say that this install failure was distinctly user-unfriendly.)

To get around this problem, I decided to simply uninstall my prior Kodi intall, and then, after that, to install Kodi 17 from scratch, using the instructions on the page noted above. Both of these steps apparently succeded.

Problem #2)

Having (apparently) succeded in installing Kodi 17 from scratch, I wanted to add a shortcut icon for it to my Ubuntu/Unity Launcher bar on the left side of my desktop. Not remembering how to do this anymore, I googled and found the following page which suggests how to do this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/224004/ho...e-launcher

"You can also drag applications directly from the Dash into the launcher."

I poked on the icon that starts up the "Dash" and since it did not immediately show any icon for Kodi, as I have done many times before, I used the Dash search box. I just typed in "Kodi" and hit return. But alas, it appears that Dash does not know of my new Kodi 17, even though it appears to have been successfully installed, and even though an executable for it is most definitely present at /usr/bin/kodi. (I know. I checked.)

So, can some kind person explain to me why Dash does not find the newly installed Kodi?

Problem #3)

Having failed to add an icon for Kodi 17 to my Launcher, I simply opened up an xterm window, checked that /usr/bin/kodi was in my $PATH and then I simply typed "kodi". After I did this, kodi tried to start up, but it crashed and created a coredump file within a couple of seconds. I decided to try one more time before giving up, so I typed "kodi"<return> once again in the xterm window. Kodi again crashed almost immediately and created a coredump file. Fortunately, in both cases, before it crashed kodi created a kodi_crashlog file in my home directory. I have placed copies of both of these in the following locations:

https://pastebin.com/raw/GTQZJcge

https://pastebin.com/raw/BkQhkqfZ

I have no solution for problem #3 or problem #2 above. If some kind soul would offer me solutions to these problems, I would greatly appreciate it.

Separately, please allow me to also respectfully suggest that there may be changes which could be made to Kodi, going forward, which would make the upgrade process for Ubuntu a bit less user-unfriendly.
I suspect 2 and 3 are related to 1.
You probably didn't remove the old debian kodi package properly, which is the reason the upgrade failed in the first place.

try this:
sudo apt purge kodi*
sudo apt install kodi

if it still doesn't work:
apt policy kodi kodi-bin
(2017-04-03, 14:34)wsnipex Wrote: You probably didn't remove the old debian kodi package properly...

Color me perplexed.

I did an "uninstall" using the Ubuntu Software Updater, and that gave me a message at the end saying that it had "succeded".

What else should I have done?
(2017-04-03, 14:34)wsnipex Wrote: try this:
sudo apt purge kodi*
sudo apt install kodi

OK, that seems to have worked, and now I have Kodi 17 installed and working and an icon for it in my launcher.

So, um, thanks!

(I am still rather puzzed about how/why the above commands worked for the upgrade, whereas going the Ubuntu Software Updater route failed horribly. Sigh. Oh well, I never like or trust GUI-fied interfaces for system maintenance tools anyway.)
stick to the terminal its where linux should be driven from
(2017-04-07, 21:14)Derek Wrote: stick to the terminal its where linux should be driven from

That works for me! I've always been a command-line kinda guy... all the way back to the DEC VT-100 days (and even earlier).

Of course, one would have hoped that if the Ubuntu folks were going to implement (as they apparently have) a fancy schmancy click-and-drool GUI for doing routine system maintenance tasks that they would have debugged it a little better, and made it a bit more bullet-proof, but oh well. I guess you can't have everything.
It's not the package managers fault, be it GUI or CLI. The issue is that the debian folks changed (sub) package naming from our year long standards.
Since you had the debian package installed, a normal uprade didn't work, because the debian packages were not properly removed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FAILED - Upgrade to Kodi 17 on Ubuntu 16.040