Help for a newbie choosing the right box
I'm looking to get a Kodi box and have been doing a fair bit of research. The more I look, the more confused I get. The best source so far has been the "Star Here" post in this form by "wrxasty". Based on this post and other research, I'm about ready to purchase a Minix U9 box.

I've been unable to find a thorough user manual or full operational instructions to confirm that it truly meets my needs. Can some kind person offer advice on this issue?

Here are my needs:
  1. Initially, I'm looking to replace my discontinued WDTV live. I'd like the Minix to play my stored media files from 1 or 2 HDDs connected to the Minix. (my media is a variety of all video formats as well as MP3s)
  2. I'd like to be able to see the HDDs connected to the Minix on my PC local network so that files could be transferred to and from the unit.
  3. I'd like to be able to play media stored on my PC via the Minix
  4. I'd like to be able to stream US broadcast TV on the Minix
  5. At some time, I'd like to be able to play H265 and ATMOS video on the Minix
  6. In the future, I'd probably like to subscribe to and play Netflix
  7. I'd like it to be able to play 4K

As an aside, I see on the Minix site that some of their boxes run Windows 10 and others run Andriod. I find the Windows alternative appealing since I'm likely to be able to access a Windows based Nimix on my network just like another PC. Would an Windows box be better for me?

I see that some U9s available for sale come with the MINIX NEO K1 Wireless Keyboard Remote Control. That seems a little bulky for everyday use. If I get the normal remote, does the U9 have the ability to connect to my existing Bluetooth keyboard?

Does the Minix U9 meet these requirements? If not can anyone provide a recommendation.
(2017-04-02, 21:50)dsscottage Wrote: I'm looking to get a Kodi box and have been doing a fair bit of research. The more I look, the more confused I get. The best source so far has been the "Star Here" post in this form by "wrxtasy". Based on this post and other research, I'm about ready to purchase a Minix U9 box.

I'd like to be able to see the HDDs connected to the Minix on my PC local network so that files could be transferred to and from the unit.
You probably can with a bunch of non friendly Android Apps - but it will be no where near as easy as LibreELEC Kodi where HDD's are automounted using LibreELEC inbuilt SMB server. I believe there is no SMB server on the U9 at the moment.
Android also has limitations on the number of HDD's that can be directly connected - not sure of the number, it could be 2.

The U9 runs the Android touchscreen OS.

LibreELEC is not reliable on the U9 - I can crash Kodi simply by pausing video. Its not even using proper Linux GPU video drivers - very much a hacky experiment at the moment.

Quote:I'd like to be able to stream US broadcast TV on the Minix
This is where the wheels will fall of when using any Android Kodi Krypton Box at the moment - PVR's and Deinterlacing needed for Live TV is broken.
The U9 cannot even use the old Amcodec hardware acceleration that will give you reliable deinterlacing, because its missing in Android Marshmallow Firmware. It also does not use Android TV, so you cannot use the Live Channels App either.

Quote:In the future, I'd probably like to subscribe to and play Netflix
Netflix is much easier to use and works out of the box on Netflix approved hardware like the FireTV's, Shield, Xiaomi Mi Box and the WeTek Hub. The touchscreen version of Netflix is a PITA to use with an Airmouse its not Wife Friendly. Audio is 2.0 as well. The easy to use Android TV version of Netflix does not work on the U9.

Any sort of Mouse usage on a TV screen sucks because you simply have to concentrate too hard or have a flat surface to operate from. An Air Mouse requires co-ordination and skill and is not family friendly.

Quote:I see that some U9s available for sale come with the MINIX NEO K1 A3 Wireless Keyboard Remote Control. That seems a little bulky for everyday use. If I get the normal remote, does the U9 have the ability to connect to my existing Bluetooth keyboard?
The normal IR included remote is terrible. It has to be pointed directly at the box and you will still miss button pressings.
You need the NEO A3 Lite Air Mouse remote to even use touchscreen Android Apps properly

The actual best all rounder for what you want is the Dual Boot Android / LibreELEC Kodi box - the WeTek Hub.
Why ?

- Easy Dual Boot Android / LibreELEC
- Live TV works properly with LibreELEC Kodi PVR's.
- Easy HDD and network connectivity with LE
- Superior LibreELEC Kodi with Auto 1080p <<->> 2160p(4K) resolution switching (not possible on any Android box - apart from FireTV2)
- HD Audio passthrough using LibreELEC Kodi (And Android Kodi)
- The very easy to use 1080p / 4K Android TV version of Netflix works out of the box on the Netflix Approved Hub
(The normal touchscreen version frankly sucks when used with an Air mouse)
- Full monty selection of touchscreen Android Apps if needed.

Downside's:
- The included IR remote is cheap - only works properly when used with the included IR extension cable.
- You really need to buy a Wireless Air Mouse Remote - like ironically the MINIX A2/A3 Lite.
- Touchscreen Android Apps harder to use then Android TV - but some Android TV Apps can be easily sideloaded.
- for multiple 2.5" HDD's, like all ARM based boxes - MINIX, RPi's etc you need to use a Powered USB Hub or Externally powered 3.5" HDD's & a cheap unpowered USB2 Hub.

Other options - buy a nVIDIA Shield and put up with any Android OS (touchscreen Apps may not work) and Android Kodi limitations. Live Channels or HDHomeRun App and a HDHomeRun hardware would need to be used for OTA TV with the Shield.

wrxtasy
Thank you for your very detailed response!

Since I'm a newbie, I want to make sure that I understand....
You are recommending the WeTek Hub box on which I would install LibreELEC Kodi.

Correct?
Yes.
You can easily dual boot and flip flop LibreELEC / Android as well just by holding down the remote's power button during a reboot.

Be aware for some reason the Android TV Netflix App is sending out 2.0 Audio at the moment. WeTek will have to look into it.

If you want 5.1 Netflix Audio the Xiaomi Mi Box, or one of those v2 Amazon FireTV Sticks will give you that without breaking the bank. In fact apart from the FireTV's the Shield is the only Android device that will give you Amazon Video.

wrxtasy,

Thank you again.

One last question....
As per the manufacturers web sites,...
- the WeTek Hub has 1GB RAM & 8GB Flash memory.
- the Xiaomi Mi Box has 2GB RAM & 8GB Flash memory

In my previous searches, most Android boxes seemed to have 2GB RAM & 16 GB Flash memory.

In my PC experience, it seems that more is always better. Therefore, do these smaller amounts of memory present any constraints or problems?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help for a newbie choosing the right box0