v17 "PulseAudio: Waited for the stream but it failed" when using passthrough
Hi folks, I'm also having problems getting passthrough to work. It worked under Kodi 16.
In the log file I see the message "ERROR: PulseAudio: Waited for the stream but it failed"

Playing standard scene MKVs with h.264 video and ac3 5.1 audio. I'm using PlexKodiConnect to play media from a local Plex server. I have Passthrough and AC3 enabled. "Sync Playback to Display" is disabled. Plays in PCM 2-channel mode fine.

Computer (ASUS Chromebox CN60 with Matt Devo's SeaBIOS/coreboot firmware) connected to Sony TV with HDMI, TV connected to Onkyo Receiver with S/PDIF
Debug log: https://pastebin.com/WtGbWUBw
Kodi version: 17.1 Git:20170320-nogitfound
OS: up-to-date Xubuntu 16.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.4.0-71-generic x86_64)

I started with a clean profile with just PlexKodiConnect and YouTube added.
Just to eliminate any complications arising from PlexKodiConnect, I tried native playing a AC3 MKV.
Log: https://pastebin.com/udu1idpb

Same thing happened:
Code:
NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86019, channels: 6, sample rate: 48000, pass-through)
[...]
ERROR: PulseAudio: Waited for the stream but it failed
you didn't address the question I asked in the main Chromebox thread -- did you verify that the SPDIF is set as the passthru audio device? Because the log says it's not:

Code:
18:01:28.551 T:140411867752192   DEBUG: CActiveAESink::OpenSink - trying to open device PULSE:alsa_output.pci-0000_00_03.0.hdmi-stereo

Also, don't post log snippets, it makes things harder. Most times the full log is needed, which is why that's what we request you post in order to best help you.
Try with gst from the command line. I posted a how-to in this Linux forum.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2017-04-04, 08:52)Matt Devo Wrote: you didn't address the question I asked in the main Chromebox thread -- did you verify that the SPDIF is set as the passthru audio device? Because the log says it's not:

Code:
18:01:28.551 T:140411867752192   DEBUG: CActiveAESink::OpenSink - trying to open device PULSE:alsa_output.pci-0000_00_03.0.hdmi-stereo
The Chromebox is connected to the TV with HDMI, so that is correct. The TV in turn is connected to the receiver with S/PDIF.
(2017-04-04, 08:52)Matt Devo Wrote: Also, don't post log snippets, it makes things harder. Most times the full log is needed, which is why that's what we request you post in order to best help you.
Sorry about that. Here is the full log:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/24312569/
OK, I figured out what was going on. I generated a verbose pulseaudio log and noticed the following lines:
Code:
( 111.788|   0.000) D: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c: Negotiated format: ac3-iec61937, format.channels = "2"  format.rate = "48000"
( 111.788|   0.000) D: [pulseaudio] volume.c: Assertion 'pa_channel_map_valid(cm)' failed at pulse/volume.c:637, function pa_cvolume_compatible_with_channel_map.
( 111.788|   0.000) D: [pulseaudio] volume.c: Assertion 'pa_cvolume_compatible_with_channel_map(v, from)' failed at pulse/volume.c:580, function pa_cvolume_remap.
( 111.788|   0.000) I: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c: Trying to change sample rate
( 111.788|   0.000) I: [pulseaudio] sink.c: Cannot update rate, monitor source is RUNNING
( 111.788|   0.000) D: [pulseaudio] sink-input.c: Could not update sink sample spec to match passthrough stream

The "Cannot update rate, monitor source is RUNNING" line caught my eye. Turns out that SoundWireServer, which monitors my HDMI Stereo out and lets me listen to the audio stream on my phone, apparently blocks passthrough from working. I stopped the monitoring in pavucontrol and everything works again.

So I can either have working passthrough or SoundWireServer but not both, it seems...too bad! Anyone know of a good way to simulcast Kodi audio to an Android phone while keeping passthrough?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"PulseAudio: Waited for the stream but it failed" when using passthrough0