Is there an addon for Krypton that changes advanced settings xml file?
You can't mess up the syntax anyway, it's not like it's a python file. Open Notepad on your PC, type it in there then save it to a USB Stick or SD Card, or even Dropbox & transfer it to your Android Box. No addon needed, it's a 5 minute job for anyone with even the most basic computer knowledge Smile
(2017-07-09, 21:21)FXB78 Wrote: You can't mess up the syntax anyway, it's not like it's a python file. Open Notepad on your PC, type it in there then save it to a USB Stick or SD Card, or even Dropbox & transfer it to your Android Box. No addon needed, it's a 5 minute job for anyone with even the most basic computer knowledge Smile

You're missing the point my android box (and android TV sets) won't connect to your PC... not without some physical modifications which shouldn't be necessary (and might cause more problems than editing the advancedsettings.xml) also its very possible to mess up the syntax of the xml file unless you are a computer that never makes mistakes (which is why its better to have a GUI to guide you)

(2017-07-09, 20:52)trogggy Wrote: What sort of android box can't be connected to a pc or text editor? I've stuck kodi on android phones, tablets and boxes and never come across that. Huh

Just because the situation doesn't exist for you doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

for one the MiBox3 (which i own and it won't connect without modifying a usb cable) not to mention if the box is connected to your tv or some other place by screws where it isn't PC accessible...
(2017-07-10, 01:41)JeromyNix Wrote:
(2017-07-09, 20:52)trogggy Wrote: What sort of android box can't be connected to a pc or text editor? I've stuck kodi on android phones, tablets and boxes and never come across that. Huh
Just because the situation doesn't exist for you doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Hence I asked the question.
Quote:for one the MiBox3 (which i own and it won't connect without modifying a usb cable) not to mention if the box is connected to your tv or some other place by screws where it isn't PC accessible...
If your MiBox3 can connect to a network it can connect to your pc.
I don't think I've ever used kodi on something that physically can't connect to a network.
And if you can't connect to a network how are you going to install an addon?
(2017-07-10, 02:08)trogggy Wrote: If your MiBox3 can connect to a network it can connect to your pc.
I don't think I've ever used kodi on something that physically can't connect to a network.
And if you can't connect to a network how are you going to install an addon?

So explain to me how to connect and edit files on my MiBox3 via Wifi if you know so much about it.Since android TV has no samba/NFS or other easily accessible server options and is not rootable.

To be honest I don't need to know any of this (since I'm making my own plugin to edit advancedsettings.xml, but I'm not the only one in this situation so I want the info out there.
(2017-07-10, 03:27)JeromyNix Wrote: So explain to me how to connect and edit files on my MiBox3 via Wifi if you know so much about it.
Make file on pc.
Copy file from pc to kodi folder.
You can do that (the copying) from the mibox with kodi's file manager - not that I would, but at least I know it's available on the mibox. I'd more likely use es fileexplorer pro, or andsmb, or wifi file explorer or similar apps myself. Or (as suggested earlier) you could use dropbox or similar. You could even chuck a file on a usb stick and carry it from your pc to the box.
Well that will work but again that's an extremely roundabout process... I'm just going to finish up my plugin and make it easy on myself... sorry since i don't want to create a entire repo for one plugin it most likely won't be shared as you can tell i like efficient processes rather than roundabout pita workarounds. Not a dig at anyone other than myself. I readily admit my laziness. Not everything good has to remain difficult.
Personally I am a commandline editor guy, but that should not discourage @JeromyNix from building his addon. I look forward to it.

I think I did see an addon to just manage the MySQL parts of advancedsettings, but this is more ambitious. Cheers.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-07-10, 04:40)JeromyNix Wrote: Well that will work but again that's an extremely roundabout process... I'm just going to finish up my plugin and make it easy on myself... sorry since i don't want to create a entire repo for one plugin it most likely won't be shared as you can tell i like efficient processes rather than roundabout pita workarounds. Not a dig at anyone other than myself. I readily admit my laziness. Not everything good has to remain difficult.
Out of interest - how will you get your plugin onto the mibox?
Install it from zip on my network samba share.

On another thing concerning GUI. (at least the way I'm programming it). I have the ability to make it as close to idiot-proof as possible as opposed to command line/text editing leaving user to their own devices to make mistakes. Granted GUIs promote ignorance of how to actually interact with a program, and I always suggest interaction via text/command line before resorting to GUI.
(2017-07-14, 23:35)JeromyNix Wrote: Install it from zip on my network samba share
Not sure I see how copying an .xml file from your network samba share is more roundabout than writing an addon to install from zip from your network samba share to create an .xml file in the gui. The bottom line though, obviously, is you do it however you want. It would be ridiculous to generate my advancedsettings in the gui on each machine rather than copy them, but if they were much simpler / shorter it wouldn't be an issue.
Copy where? For which profile? What are the available options. Its not just copying and pasting a file. Its knowing 50 (hyperbole) different paths, 100s of settings making sure you didn't make a mistake... etc. GUI is just knowing how to install a plugin and that plugin being able yo explain what settings are and how to change them (a good GUI) so that you make less mistakes. Some people need to change advanced setting on a per system basis some on a per profile basis, some on a netowk shared basis. Me personally only settings I really change are path substitutions, and that's on a per-profule basis, but I'm going the extra mile for anyone else who may want to download and use it (unsupported yet self explanatory)
Yeah, you're telling me how hard it is. Last week you didn't see a way to move a file from a pc to an android box without hacking a usb cable. That's not hard either.
Don't get me wrong - you want to write an addon? Knock yourself out. If you keep telling me how hard it is to write (mostly cut and paste) a text file and move it to your box though you can expect to be disagreed with. Because it's not.
Why do you need so badly to be right? It's a hassle for me. I've conceded at evey point you made and pointed out my reasons are my own. Why do you have to insist publicly that my way of thinking is wrong? Is it that important for you to feel superior? Or are you intentionally trolling me? Whatever the case I'm done with this exchange its elitist thinking like this that always drives me away from forums. You want constructive exchange I'm cool with that, beating my opinion / point of view into submission is not that.
(2017-07-15, 01:04)JeromyNix Wrote: Why do you need so badly to be right? It's a hassle for me. I've conceded at evey point you made and pointed out my reasons are my own. Why do you have to insist publicly that my way of thinking is wrong? Is it that important for you to feel superior? Or are you intentionally trolling me? Whatever the case I'm done with this exchange its elitist thinking like this that always drives me away from forums. You want constructive exchange I'm cool with that, beating my opinion / point of view into submission is not that.
Go and write your add-on. That would be admirable.
Repeating how hard it is to cut / paste / make / move an .xml file isn't.
This is kind of old now but I found this post while looking for something else. I've had this addon on Github for a number of years now. GUI way to edit the advancedsettings.xml file. Might be useful for anyone else stumbling across this later: https://github.com/robweber/script.advan...ngs.editor

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there an addon for Krypton that changes advanced settings xml file?0