[Question] Why is "ASUS Tinker Board" bad option for Kodi?
I have been spending some days looking at some boxes that would do well using Kodi and as popular and steady the Pi 3 is, it doesn't do me any good without the H265 support that I need.

The Tinker board seems better spec by spec and it supports H265 but it seems like it's lacking with other crucial features that would make it run great with Kodi.
What makes this box not good for Kodi? What support is it lacking? Screen tear? Graphics issues in general?

I have seen other boxes but they simply seems too expensive. We either don't have the product in my country or it's more expensive than the $40 customs limit we have. I just need to run Kodi that supports H265, 1080p, Ethernet cable and that it runs well with Kodi.

Isn't there any way to fix the Tinker board issues? I kinda don't want to buy it to see what's wrong with it, and I'm kinda unclear on why it's running bad.

I'm aware that this isn't a Kodi issue but rather poor support from Asus themself but surely they have released graphics drivers at least on a board they have put on the market? If graphics is the issue
Problems, just off the top of my head:

- Rockchip SoC that has a bad track record of Open Source support, especially when it comes to Kodi.
- Too late to the party, the Army of dirt cheap AMLogic S905(X) SoC's, even running an old Linux Kernel are good enough for 4K HEVC, HDMI 2.0, HDR, HD Audio, HDMI CEC, when using Kodi.
- LibreELEC developers not interested
- Kodi Diamond Sponsors not interested in the Hardware, who provide support to developers.
- Tech Specs mean nothing without widespread developer support, that's a big Gotcha.
RPi platform has proven this many times over, and to a lesser extent the AMLogic boxes running LibreELEC and now OSMC Kodi as well.

Existing Tinker Board thread

You would be far better just biting the bullet and getting a well supported AML S905 and running LibreELEC Kodi and paying whatever Customs duty needs to be paid and be done with it.

Otherwise expect a compromised system for you needs and very little ongoing Kodi and developer support.
Without those two, you are frankly stuffed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Question] Why is "ASUS Tinker Board" bad option for Kodi?0