v17 Video Playback via SMB or NFS problem, stuttering, recashing.
Question 
Hi guys,

Im having a big problem with my Android Box playing movies of different resolutions.

First things first, here is my Log File, hope it helps: https://paste.ubuntu.com/24329840/

I´m streaming the files from my WHS where i have both SMB shares and NFS shares. Still I got the same problem with both of them playing my files on the android box running Kodi 17.1. When the movie starts, it takes a long time to cash, then starts playing with lots of screen stuttering. After a few seconds it cashes again, but from that point on its just a stuttering mess.
Still when i am using my UPNP Share im hosting on the same server with Serviio, all files are running smoothly.

I already set the screen to video sync to always, which did not change a thing.

Ah btw. I noticed whilst running the debug mode that the cpu-kodi percentage was running over 360% while playing the movie. Playback of the movie starts at line 667.

Hope you guys can help me.

Greetz
Anyone got an idea on this? Maybe it is because the file is with 23.976 fps, whilst the TV is running on 60?

Still i find it strange that it runs perfectly with UPNP/Serviio.
Just read something about Kodi 17.x problems with Amlogic CPU´s. Can anyone confirm that this is the problem here? Because my Android Box runs with an Amlogic CPU.
Guys i really need your help on this. Already Updated my Router, the TV and the Android Box, Set the resolution on the Box to 1080p 50Hz, 1080p 24HZ, 1080i 50Hz, 1080i 24HZ. None of it worked.

Also played a bit with Audio Settings, because the Log was saying something on a difference between audio and video, didnt work also.
If youve got high cpu load, it means it doesnt use hardware decoder. Your issue isnot with smb or nfs.
Why it doest work, i cannt help you, i dont use android. Maybe use Libreelec or smpc.
Tried again different settings with the hardware decoder in Kodi, still doesnt work for me Sad
Ok I tracked the problem down a bit. It seems that when im running on smb or nfs, the write stream of the cache of the android box cant keep up with the reading of the cache. I have run several files of different resolution and length and when i run a file above a certain treshhold, the playback stops or stutters and it starts to refill the cache. Strangely engough, this doesnt happen when i watch the files via UPNP from the Serviio Server (don´t know whats the difference between the UPNP delivery and the NFS or the SMB one...).

Results as follows:

Watching files from UPNP Server (Serviio):
- Short File 420p -> OK
- Short File 720p -> OK
- Short File 1080p -> OK
- Long File 720p -> OK
- Long File 1080p -> OK

Watching files either from SMB or NFS Server:
- Short File 480p -> OK
- Short File 720p -> NOK (starts to reload at about 10 to 15 seconds, then stutters heavily = unwatchable)
- Short File 1080p -> NOK (starts to reload at about 5 to 10 seconds, then stutters heavily = unwatchable)
- Long File 720p -> NOK (starts to reload at about 5 to 10 seconds, then stutters heavily = unwatchable)
- Long File 1080p -> NOK (starts to reload at about 2 to 5 seconds, then stutters heavily = unwatchable)

Anyone got an Idea?
Hmmm did some more research on this. As it seems, it has something to do with the overall lenght of the file which is played.

On SMB or NFS Server all files which had a length of round about 20 mins work fine, wether they are 480p, 720p or 1080p.
Files that are about 40-50 mins long, just work when they are a max of 720p. 1080p Files will have to cache at the start, still caching much faster then longer files (90min+) and playback works longer till it starts to stutter.
Files that are 90+ mins long dont work on either 1080p nor on 720p. The caching takes way more time then on the 40-50mins files and the stuttering starts way earlier.

All these files i tested with had Dolby Audio, so i dont think the Audio Codec is a factor here.
Lan or wifi?
Lan
Also tested it with my Fire TV Box, got the same result on that box...
Another POF i can exclude from my list is the WHS. I put one of the big files onto another computer in the network (Windows 10) and shared the file via SMB and got the exact same problem.
Hi mr downstream,
Did you ever figure out this?

I'm having exact same problem on libreelec latest version 17.3 on a raspberry pi3

Kind regards,
Bogman
I've got a similar issue on 17.x for Windows (been happening since I went from Jarvis to Krypton, issue not present on either of my android boxes), where the aforementioned playback issues happen with ALL files when I first try to play a file after powering the windows machine up. SMB/NFS/Local doesn't matter, playback freezes a second in and locks kodi up entirely. After I restart kodi and/or windows things work perfectly. It drives everyone nuts! The issue is also present on my desktop pc, another windows 10 machine.

I've rebuilt this machine from scratch, twice. I've reinstalled kodi from scratch a number of times, I've removed and rebuilt the entire media database a number of times and the issue persists.

Next stop, debug logs and I'll start a new thread.
(2017-11-10, 02:20)Fazz1977 Wrote: I've got a similar issue on 17.x for Windows (been happening since I went from Jarvis to Krypton, issue not present on either of my android boxes), where the aforementioned playback issues happen with ALL files when I first try to play a file after powering the windows machine up. SMB/NFS/Local doesn't matter, playback freezes a second in and locks kodi up entirely. After I restart kodi and/or windows things work perfectly. It drives everyone nuts! The issue is also present on my desktop pc, another windows 10 machine.

I've rebuilt this machine from scratch, twice. I've reinstalled kodi from scratch a number of times, I've removed and rebuilt the entire media database a number of times and the issue persists.

Next stop, debug logs and I'll start a new thread.

I resolved this in the end by using the standard buffering settings in the Kodi wiki page. (Raspberry pi 3)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Playback via SMB or NFS problem, stuttering, recashing.0