RiffTrax Player - Play Riff files a la MST3K (Mystery Science Theater 3000)
Lightbulb 
Any possibility of adding a feature to automatically synch the MP3s from RiffTrax (MST3K) with a DVD?

The RiffTrax guys have started releasing handy RiffTrax files with timing information...

See: http://rifftrax.com/
Hey I wanted to know if there was a way to get the rifftplayer from http://www.rifftrax.com/rifftrax-player to work on the xbox. I am planning on buying some of the riff tracks and wanted to be able to put a DVD in my xbox and load up the player and riff file so that I would be able to watch the movies on a TV instead of my monitor.

Or is there a way to get XBMC to use the player installed on my PC over my wireless network.

Any guidance or help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Wei
Unless they offer an opensource implementation of whatever the "riff" file format is, it probably isn't going to happen. Given that it appears to be an advertising model they're using, it's even less likely.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I believe that the riff files are just renamed MP3 files. Or they may be MP3 files flat out, not renamed at all.

Regardless, how can one play a secondary audio in XBMC on the xbox? Is there any way to do it?
Otto42 Wrote:Regardless, how can one play a secondary audio in XBMC on the xbox? Is there any way to do it?
I do not think it is currently possible but I am not sure.

You can use a separate MP3 file as the audio stream with MPlayer instead of the one inside the video container (by using a ".conf" file that is named same as the video files) but I doubt that you can play both at the same time without new code for it. Best would be to check over at http://www.mplayerhq.hu
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I was curious so I bought a file.

Its some kind of archive, definitely compressed. No zip header, but it does begin with a list of files in the archive, which are a couple XML files with timing info and the MP3 version of the rifftrax. The mp3 is evidently compressed since I could not find the start of the mpeg header.

The player contains ac3filter (maybe not ok with its license) and zlib. Presumably then its zlib compressed but since zlib has no real header I can't be sure.
Wow. This is a really old thread. FYI, the riff format is just plain old MP3. To make this work, we'd have to be able to play two sound files at once and be able to raise and lower the volume of each individually. My guess is that this will be more possible after something like MasterAudio is put into place. Until then, it just isn't happening.
Sorry to necro this (old) thread. I was thinking about this the other day, how awesome it would be to do it all through XBMC, maybe even with add-on automation / syncing etc. Now that AudioEngine is "out there", would it now be possible to play 2 audio streams simultaneously for stuff like RiffTrax etc.?

Edit: e.g. bitstreaming the movie's DTS to one audio device (e.g. surround sound system via optical) while playing the rifftrax mp3 on another (e.g. TV speakers via HDMI). Or maybe even mixing the two somehow on the same device. *drool*

Edit 2: Imagine having an auto-ducking feature built in too. As in, making the volume of the movie stream decrease automatically when there is RiffTrax commentary on the 2nd stream. *droooooooooool*
Holy crap, this would be awesome.
Auto-ducking and support for the timing files would indeed be amazing. For now I would be happy if we could finally at least get support for external audio files, something that has been requested in the past and is supported by many other media players.
this would be great to support the rifttrack stuff
Smile 
I would love to see this developed as well!
Would enjoy this greatly
what do we need to do to make this happen? anyone?
Since many movies that have RiffTrax available for them have expired copyright so you could have a XBMC addon that would legally stream these movies from http://archive.org

How fun with it not be to have a MST3K addon plugin in XBMC that both downloads RiffTrax movie commentaries from rifftrax.com and stream the whole movie too for free!

(2012-10-01, 04:05)sastian Wrote: what do we need to do to make this happen? anyone?
If the RiffTrax format is just MP3 with a different file extension name, then XBMC would still need the capability to playback two audio tracks at once.

(2010-01-03, 13:24)natethomas Wrote: FYI, the riff format is just plain old MP3. To make this work, we'd have to be able to play two sound files at once and be able to raise and lower the volume of each individually.
The patch for Loading/Play external audio tracks support would not hurt to have here first https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1337

You would also have to add support for XBMC's internal video player to be able to playback both the embedded audio track and the external audio track at the same time, as well as have the audio engine mux those two audio tracks together?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RiffTrax Player - Play Riff files a la MST3K (Mystery Science Theater 3000)2