macOS 10.12.4 breaks launching of Kodi with Apple Remote on Mac Mini 2014 model
Been running Kodi 17.1 fine. But installed macOS 10.12.4 yesterday and today I am noticing I can't launch kodi anymore with the apple remote on my mac mini! I thought it worked after the update, but not sure about that now. Only thing that changed was 10.12.4.

Turned on debug and log is here:
https://pastebin.com/wb6UDQph

xmbc helper is running and tried rebooting and turning off allowing kodi to be restarted with remote and turning back on and nothing has helped. Once I am in Kodi, the remote works fine, just won't launch it all of a sudden. Never had this issue before using Kodi all these years.

Just tried nightly build from Apr 6, no luck. Tried versions 16.1 and 17.0 and no luck either.
My bad....was testing different versions of Kodi because of a problem with an addon and was changing the name of each version of Kodi in /Applications It seems if you change the name from Kodi to like Kodi Nightly Build, XMBCHelper doesn't like that and is what is used for the remote to work. Even though I quit XMBCHelper between launching the different versions, it didn't matter. Seems to be hard coded to look for Kodi.app, but thought I seen in the package in the launch agent it used variables so not sure.

Seen the following line in /private/var/log/system.log
Apr 8 00:16:53 homesvr XBMCHelper[556]: [ERROR] Path does not exist: /Applications/Kodi. Cannot launch executable

Deleted all version of Kodi and renamed 17.1 back to just Kodi and rebooted and everything worked then, was able to launch Kodi again with the Apple remote. Probably could have just quit the XMBCHelper with top or in activity monitor and relaunch Kodi once or twice and it would have fixed it, but took the easy way out and simply did a reboot.

Thought I had renamed the Kodi apps before and yesterday testing stuff I didn't have issues, so not sure why all of a sudden I had a problem. But seems to be what the issue was!
Yep XBMCHelper has no idea that you renamed the app...Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
if you want to run different versions put them in their own folder and run kodi -p easiest from the console. (Portable mode)
Thanks I wasn't aware of that!
I am pretty sure that doesn't work in OS X - especially not with the XBMCHelper service for apple remote that is a special thing only available on OS X ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Also OS X used application bundles (like all OS X Apps) - so no easy way to do "kodi -p" - remember - this is not Linux Wink
Yeah excuse me if i got that one backwards i havent tried this on my mac but i will but prob. wont work as Memphiz says due to the way the apple packages are.

Actually just tried and it failed:

predator:MacOS derek$ cd /Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/MacOS
predator:MacOS derek$ ./Kodi -p
Could not init logging classes. Permission errors on ~/.kodi (/Applications/Kodi.app/Contents/Resources/Kodi/portable_data/temp/)
ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting

Problem is no write permission inside the app even though its treated like a folder might work with sudo but thats for another day Smile
Well you can start it from cmdline - but the osx starter doesn't even evaluate the -p argument (actually it has no argument support at all).
Memphiz: it did pick up the -p look it tried to create a porrtable install directory inside the app but failed miserably Smile
Mmh odd

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
macOS 10.12.4 breaks launching of Kodi with Apple Remote on Mac Mini 2014 model0