Intel atom for x264
Well, Wetek Play 2 is on its way. I'll open a new thread to post the experiences.
Not using netflix and don't plan to (until I'm stucked here at least)
So I'll try a bunch of versions / builds just to play around with it.
OpenElec has got a build for Play2 as well.
I really like to have the opportunity tho to ssh to a device and install any programs I please...
But as I have a Beelink X2 server (and media player for my mother) that does the trick for my other needs.
Anyway, will test, will post.
Thanks for the last time.
Cheers.
(2017-04-11, 11:11)rigo Wrote: OpenElec has got a build for Play2 as well.
I really like to have the opportunity tho to ssh to a device and install any programs I please...

That's not really possible with OpenElec / LibreElec. Whilst you can SSH into the box with no problems, the OS is designed as an 'appliance OS', and doesn't have a package management (no apt-get install / yum etc.) and is based on a predominantly read-only system filing system architecture (which makes it much more robust in cases of non-graceful shutdowns etc.).

If you roll your own build you can add stuff, and you can install binary packaged add-ons via Kodi's add-on manager (so installation of stuff like a TV Headend server is still possible)
(2017-04-09, 01:10)noggin Wrote: Raspberry Pi will play H264 1080p stuff with no problem at all. No need to go for an Atom or Intel.

My Pi is happily playing 50Mbs 1080p50 H264 stuff with no major issues.

It's not happily playing HD audio formats. So yes there is a need for Intel.
(2017-04-11, 16:21)honcho Wrote:
(2017-04-09, 01:10)noggin Wrote: Raspberry Pi will play H264 1080p stuff with no problem at all. No need to go for an Atom or Intel.

It is happily playing and decoding Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA losslessly to 5.1 / 7.1 PCM (as well as FLAC 5.1/7.1, PCM 5.1/7.1 etc.) - apart from the (literal) handful of 192kHz 5.1/7.1 tracks - 96/48k stuff plays fine.

If you want/need Atmos and DTS:x - then you need bitstreaming. Otherwise you are just discussing whether your Pi or your AVR does the decode to PCM. In some edge cases an AVR may be beneficial fed with HD Audio bitstreamed (as it will get metadata) - but in most cases I suspect you won't have an issue.
(2017-04-12, 02:15)noggin Wrote:
(2017-04-11, 16:21)honcho Wrote:

It is happily playing and decoding Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA losslessly to 5.1 / 7.1 PCM (as well as FLAC 5.1/7.1, PCM 5.1/7.1 etc.) - apart from the (literal) handful of 192kHz 5.1/7.1 tracks - 96/48k stuff plays fine.

If you want/need Atmos and DTS:x - then you need bitstreaming. Otherwise you are just discussing whether your Pi or your AVR does the decode to PCM. In some edge cases an AVR may be beneficial fed with HD Audio bitstreamed (as it will get metadata) - but in most cases I suspect you won't have an issue.

I'm sure OP would be fine with a pi, just throwing out there that it doesn't quite have all the features. Then again, i don't think the older atom's will bitstream the HD codecs either.
So the Wetek Play 2 is here. Perfect except one thing it does not play DTS-HD and TrueHD
...yet.
Tried the android factory version updated, the OpenELEC and also the LibreELEC. Set up as usual Output conf: best match, Resample quality: High, enable passthrough, all set to "capable" since the receiver is a good one it can deal with everything.
Still in case of a DTS-HD or TrueHD file the receiver only shows PCM.
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Amlogic this page shows that those aren't supported formats.
Which is fine if it is so, just say the word and I stop trying to make it work. Smile
Other than that I only can suggest.
My luck check this out I placed the order two days before Easter, when there was a 17% discount lol but no worries ain't no starvin'
Cheers

btw even 4k is flawless. well it is "4k ultrahd.bluray.2160p.x264.aac.5.1" and it's weird because the file is only 7gibs.
(2017-04-25, 21:27)rigo Wrote: So the Wetek Play 2 is here. Perfect except one thing it does not play DTS-HD and TrueHD
...yet.
Tried the android factory version updated, the OpenELEC and also the LibreELEC. Set up as usual Output conf: best match, Resample quality: High, enable passthrough, all set to "capable" since the receiver is a good one it can deal with everything.
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Amlogic this page shows that those aren't supported formats.
Which is fine if it is so, just say the word and I stop trying to make it work. Smile
Other than that I only can suggest.
My luck check this out I placed the order two days before Easter, when there was a 17% discount lol but no worries ain't no starvin'
Cheers

btw even 4k is flawless. well it is "4k ultrahd.bluray.2160p.x264.aac.5.1" and it's weird because the file is only 7gibs.
The play 2 definitely plays DTS-HD and True HD. My receiver shows as DTS-HD and tried so it's bitstreamed. Make sure you haven't put "sync playback to display" on this stops passthrough
(2017-04-25, 21:27)rigo Wrote: So the Wetek Play 2 is here. Perfect except one thing it does not play DTS-HD and TrueHD
...yet.

My ODroid C2, Mini MX and Wetek Hub (all S905 based devices) all bitstream DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD fine with a recent build of LibreElec.
(2017-04-25, 21:54)goujam Wrote: Make sure you haven't put "sync playback to display" on this stops passthrough
this must be the issue thanks, I'll try it tonite.

Another thing, every menu-change takes too long. Is that because of the shitty old sdcard?
B) is there a way to put the libreelec (or any more customizable linux build) direct to the nand in an easyish way?
OR does it make things just as fast as from the nand if I simply purchase a new, a faster sdcard?

Thanks!
Also the audio output device had to be set back to aml-m8audio analog. Works like charm.
Now I only need a fast SD card or to find a nand image.
I hope these posts help others as well.
I only can suggest this lil box so cool so far!
A mini-itx or stx (?) Board alone without brick psu ram cpu and hdd alone costs like 90 bucks. This thing was a hundie with shipping... and if you don't have the urge it's literally plug and play. No setup needed for basic use.

a final update. libreelec is on the nand and it's fast as hell.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel atom for x2640