Black screen on Surface Pro 4 running Linux Mint 18.1
I'm running Linux Mint 18.1 on a Surface Pro 4. I installed Kodi from the team-xbmc ppa a few months back and had no issues until a recent upgrade caused a black screen to be shown each time I opened Kodi. I proceeded to uninstall Kodi and remove the ~/.kodi directory, and reinstall it. Upon doing so, the application was visible, but the instant I toggle fullscreen using the \ key, it again turns black. I've placed a debug log here: https://pastebin.com/gFprW2kL
when you press \ press it again does it re-appear in full screen mode?

Also for intel gfx do you install a prop. driver?
Nope, it then remains black no matter how many times I press \ again.
tried ctrl-alt-F2
login
sudo ps -ef |grep kodi
sudo kill -9 "PID No of kodi"
logout
ctrl-altF7

That'll get you back to your desktop at least then hopefully someone familiar with intel gfx can pitch in
sudo apt-get install openbox
Now select openbox as your session in the login manager

Same problem?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I'm not using a proprietary graphics driver as far as I know.
Installing openbox, logging in using openbox as the window manager, and starting Kodi produces the same black screen.

Note though, that in both cases (using Cinnamon and Openbox), I am able to close Kodi using the shortcut key S and Enter, although I can't see anything in the black window.
Does that thingy work with LibreELEC? If yes, please give that a try. I suspect a configuration / driver / mesa issue unrelated to kodi related to Mint / whatever.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Black screen on Surface Pro 4 running Linux Mint 18.10