v17 Whow to use Album and Single nodes in music library properly?
I've scanned a folder containing music material in form of album_file+cue into the Music library, and noticed that the Singles node of the Music library contains three entries, and they are songs, not albums Kodi has recognized as music singles.

Am I right thinking that Singles node is a Kodi's attempt to recognize if it deals with music album or music single and sort them accordingly?

If so then how could I tell Kodi the specific music albums are actually music singles?
If you wish your singles to be separate from albums, then just remove the ALBUM tag from the track. Kodi treats any songs without an ALBUM tag as a single

look like you need to extract the Files from your FLAC? file, foobar can do this, for example
Hm... There is no ALBUM tag in my cuesheets at all

(2017-04-09, 16:48)meowmoo Wrote: look like you need to extract the Files from your FLAC? file, foobar can do this, for example
I don't think it is a good idea.Cool
I prefer to rip my CDs in form of not_tagged_album_file+proper_cue instead of bunch_of_untagged_files+cue or just tagged_files, as splitting a CD into files makes the music vault terribly complicated to manage and also adds unneeded mess.

I agree that tagging and renaming separate music files with dedicated software like MP3Tag or like this is much more convenient than editing cuesheet file by hands. But when it comes to placing an order in my music files swarm I instantly thank myself for dealing with the ripped CDs like I do Cool
Kodi music library is designed primarily to work with tagged music files, the implementation of cue sheet support is secondary and a low priority feature.

Low priority for me because none of my music is cue sheet, I have had to grope around making fake test data to fix some bugs. I have been looking at it mainly because one aspect of implementation was slowing down songs node for everyone even those that didn't have any cue sheets.

But low priority for other devs in the past see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=36823 because it is just not considered mainstream.

By all means use cue sheets if you want, but don't have high expectations of changes to Kodi and the way cue sheets are handled.

Now the question about albums and singles.
For tagged music files as @meowmoo said Kodi uses the ALBUM (TALB) tag to identify that the songs are from an album, and when that tag is empty or missing it takes the music file as a single.

For a cue sheet Kodi takes the TITLE substring from the .cue as the album title. I suspect the singles in your library are dowen to not having TITLE in the .cue
If you are doing single file rips plus cue file then sounds like your cue file is not correct if some tracks within the single file rip are being identified as Singles. Note that Kodi defines Singles as single song tracks that don't form part of an album, EP, or CD single (multi-track single).
(2017-04-09, 17:55)jjd-uk Wrote: If you are doing single file rips plus cue file then sounds like your cue file is not correct if some tracks within the single file rip are being identified as Singles. Note that Kodi defines Singles as single song tracks that don't form part of an album, EP, or CD single (multi-track single).
I have just forgotten to add the TITLE tag to that cuesheet. The Singles node has helped me to discover that fact so that I have corrected the cuesheet. There is unfortunately no other use for the Single node for me as it interprets Single meaning in its own wayCool

I didn't say I use multiple_files+cue. I believe my rips should be playable on any equipment, so no nonstandard rips for me.
(2017-04-09, 17:48)DaveBlake Wrote: Kodi music library is designed primarily to work with tagged music files, the implementation of cue sheet support is secondary and a low priority feature.

No matter if my library consists of multiple tagged files or single file + cue. We both know that Kodi handles media files way too far from ideal. Cool

At the same time Kodi is the most feature rich Media Center software. But I believe its features should not only exist but be useful. There is a huge problem with usability, unfortunately.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Whow to use Album and Single nodes in music library properly?0