New wave of update issues
Now that the flood of addon27.db issues has subsided, I am noticing a growing trickle of users having other install or upgrade problems.

Would it have anything to do with what this article talks about ...

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/24...dows-7-8-1

Basically Microsoft has implemented a KB that breaks certain aspects of old version Windows running on newer hardware, which came into effect yesterday.
(2017-04-17, 14:13)blossom24 Wrote: Now that the flood of addon27.db issues has subsided, I am noticing a growing trickle of users having other install or upgrade problems.

Would it have anything to do with what this article talks about ...

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/24...dows-7-8-1

Basically Microsoft has implemented a KB that breaks certain aspects of old version Windows running on newer hardware, which came into effect yesterday.

I have been laughed at for being a Linux user.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
I don't understand Linux, Windows is much easier to use.
(2017-04-18, 13:45)graceinc Wrote: I don't understand Linux, Windows is much easier to use.

I haven't used Windows since 2005 and I would say the exact opposite. I can just about cope with Windows 7, but 8 and above forget it, it just gives me a headache.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
This issue has been blown up out of all proportan by a few sites.

It was announced that 7th gen Intel and newer AMD CPU's would not support old versions of Windows in Jan 2016. Bear in mind the newer hardware only started to become available in 2H 2016.

People either
1) Purchased a new computer (running Windows 10) and downgraded it to an unsupported OS
2) Built a machine and installed Win7/Win8

At the time it was well known the OS and drivers wouldnn't be supported/available for legacy OS. You can't really blame Microsoft for this, its not their job to retrofit legacy OS versions with new hardware support when they've already done that with the new versions of Windows.

Preventing unsupported machines installing potentially bad updates is probably a good idea. These are the same users who will probably moan how bad Windows is when they do install an update which breaks their unsupported setup.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New wave of update issues0