Using Kodi without the library features
I don't feel that Kodi's library features are useful for me. I just want to navigate my media sources using the directory structure of my networked drives.

This works fine for Video. I just add the 4 or 5 media sources I want by selecting "Video", then "Files", and "Add videos". When it asks me if I want to add these videos to the library, I just answer "No". Then when I'm done with all that, after restarting Kodi when I hover over "Videos", the Media sources I entered appear directly in the right half pane, and I can click on the one I want and navigate to the desired video. This is EXACTLY the way I was hoping it would work!

But my complaint is that I can't get this to work the same way for Music. I go to Music, and the right half pane says that my library is empty (which it is). I can click on "Enter files section" and I can enter my Media sources just as I did before with the video files. However after restarting Kodi, I don't see these selections in the right half pane when I hover over "Music". Indeed I can get to my music by clicking on "Music" (on the left pane) and then clicking on "Files". At this point I see the list of media sources that I added and I can say that it works fine from there. It may seem like a minor complaint, but it is annoying to need these extra two clicks. After all, I don't need these two extra clicks when accessing my Video sources, so why shouldn't selecting Music be just as easy?

I would appreciate any ideas you may have to make this run more smoothly.
Thanks
~Paul
This might be solved in other 'skins' my solution would be to mark your source as a 'favourite' and link that favourite directly with the home page, although I confess I'm comfortable with the library system, I do find myself using the pick & play method on occasion. My sig lists links to skins, and skin features (I use the skin Transparency! for a lot my enjoyment).
"I just want to navigate my media sources using the directory structure of my networked drives."
Agreed,
and Yes, that's exactly what is needed in a Kodi-Lite.
Upon installation, Kodi should offer the User the options of Kodi with Library extensions, ..., 
Or,
without any Library/Library extensions, scrapers, ...
This should've been done a long time ago.
(2020-11-15, 20:38)scjet Wrote: Or,

It's possible to navigate via the Videos menu item to all your sources. You can also remove menu items from the home page which are useless to you. This has been possible for quite some time now.
(2020-11-15, 20:38)scjet Wrote: "I just want to navigate my media sources using the directory structure of my networked drives."
Agreed,
and Yes, that's exactly what is needed in a Kodi-Lite.
Upon installation, Kodi should offer the User the options of Kodi with Library extensions, ..., 
Or,

Navigating your media sources without using any of the Library features has been in the software since I first started using it 18 years ago.
(2017-04-17, 14:48)pmennen Wrote: I don't feel that Kodi's library features are useful for me. I just want to navigate my media sources using the directory structure of my networked drives.

This works fine for Video. I just add the 4 or 5 media sources I want by selecting "Video", then "Files", and "Add videos". When it asks me if I want to add these videos to the library, I just answer "No". Then when I'm done with all that, after restarting Kodi when I hover over "Videos", the Media sources I entered appear directly in the right half pane, and I can click on the one I want and navigate to the desired video. This is EXACTLY the way I was hoping it would work!

But my complaint is that I can't get this to work the same way for Music. I go to Music, and the right half pane says that my library is empty (which it is). I can click on "Enter files section" and I can enter my Media sources just as I did before with the video files. However after restarting Kodi, I don't see these selections in the right half pane when I hover over "Music". Indeed I can get to my music by clicking on "Music" (on the left pane) and then clicking on "Files". At this point I see the list of media sources that I added and I can say that it works fine from there. It may seem like a minor complaint, but it is annoying to need these extra two clicks. After all, I don't need these two extra clicks when accessing my Video sources, so why shouldn't selecting Music be just as easy?

I would appreciate any ideas you may have to make this run more smoothly.
Thanks
~Paul

I've missed this post up to now. What you describe is to do with how the default Estuary skin is coded. It should be relativity easy to change, so I'll take a look into it.
I second that. Anyone has a solution for change this behavior of Music folder? Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using Kodi without the library features0