Kodi and mythtv on the same PC?
I'm already running a MythTV backend and Kodi front end quite successfully (on desperate systems). Now my brother is interested in going down this rabbit hole and I'm trying to help him out.

My question...can he run Myth and Kodi on the same PC? So far I haven't found any examples of this configuration. I know that I would have to move mythweb to a different port so it wouldn't conflict with Kodi, but I'm not seeing anything that strikes me as a showstopper with this plan.

He is looking at getting a NUC (6th or 7th gen i3) but wants to use the same system as both the front and back end. I'm running Mythbuntu, but since that is dead I'm thinking Ubuntu or Xubuntu for his system.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Sent from my SM-T800
Hello,

I don't use MythTV. But I do use NextPVR which is on the same machine as Kodi.

The MythTV wiki is here... https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_General

According to the first couple of paragraphs, seems like you can. If you are asking if your hardware is powerful enough, best to ask in the MythTV forum on this site. http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=170

Maybe one of the moderators will move your thread there, and more people may respond.
Moved to the MythTV section
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Yes, you can run Kodi on the same pc, I do it all the time.

In my usage of Kodi I have not found it necessary to change the mythweb port.

I suggest you use Xubuntu 16.04 LTS with mythtv 0.28/Fixes ppa

The version of Kodi in ubuntu repositories is too old and is not officially supported, use stable Kodi ppa (which currently gives Kodi 17.1 Krypton). You will also need to install kodi-pvr-mythtv addon.

Mythbuntu is not totally dead, it is just not being updated, no real problem as the underlying operating system (16.04) is being updated.

Mike
Thanks for the input. We'll give Xbunutu a shot.

Mythbuntu has worked well for me for a couple of years now, but since it isn't being updated I didn't want to start him off on a "zombie" distribution.

Thanks again everyone.

Sent from my SM-N900T
Yes of course you can.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-04-19, 09:56)MikeB2013 Wrote: Yes, you can run Kodi on the same pc, I do it all the time.

In my usage of Kodi I have not found it necessary to change the mythweb port.

I suggest you use Xubuntu 16.04 LTS with mythtv 0.28/Fixes ppa

The version of Kodi in ubuntu repositories is too old and is not officially supported, use stable Kodi ppa (which currently gives Kodi 17.1 Krypton). You will also need to install kodi-pvr-mythtv addon.

Mythbuntu is not totally dead, it is just not being updated, no real problem as the underlying operating system (16.04) is being updated.

Mike

The Mythbuntu distribution is dead, but they keep the mythtv ppa up to date. I'd recommend installing Lubuntu simply because it has the least amount of stuff in it (or Xubuntu, but it has more applications you don't need), adding the mythtv ppa, adding the kodi ppa, and working from that.

In fact, Lubuntu 16.04 LTS (updated to the hardware enablement kernel + xwindows stack) + mythtv ppa + kodi is what I run. Installed more smoothly and is seriously much more stable than the mythbuntu 16.04 distribution, for me anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi and mythtv on the same PC?0