Cultural Imperialism
Perfick. Thanks.
(2017-03-23, 18:09)Hidentity Wrote: My suggestion for British English would be for TV Show / Series. Shows allows for the inclusion of single one-off programmes. Though one-offs are increasingly rare, not every TV production is part of a series of episodes.
No-one wants "TV Show / Series" on their homescreen. Instead, just make a mental note that one-offs are included.
(2017-03-24, 19:22)Soli Wrote:
(2017-03-23, 18:09)Hidentity Wrote: My suggestion for British English would be for TV Show / Series. Shows allows for the inclusion of single one-off programmes. Though one-offs are increasingly rare, not every TV production is part of a series of episodes.
No-one wants "TV Show / Series" on their homescreen. Instead, just make a mental note that one-offs are included.
I assume what he means is 'TV Shows' on the home screen and 'Series 1', 'Series 2' etc (as opposed to season) when you enter a show. I quite like 'seasons' myself, but 'series' is more your traditional real ale..
MMmmmmm, real ale....
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
Addon: Beer Geeks
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Just had a read through this thread. The question of what is the "correct" translation of any idea into script is not solvable. There will always be opinions. My understanding is that the Kodi translation project purged a large number of "translators" due to the opinion differences. Then as it is, Kodi default skin / script lacks support for many scripts so even if you have a "correct" translation there's a good possibility it won't be rendered unless you switch or add new fonts. As stated previously, the default language is en_GB, so it is necessary that it be at least marginally understandable for non-native speakers so they can at least navigate sufficiently to change their locale/language/fonts.

The better approach is to create your own one-off translations as a resource. Unfortunately, it is Kodi policy that add-ons include their own translated string files, so you need to do this for every enabled add-on in addition to the base Kodi language resource.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
I'm sorry to drag this up again, but there might be a very simple solution.

Why not make en_US the default language?

You are then free to create an alternative / localised en_GB.
(2017-04-21, 18:21)Hidentity Wrote: I'm sorry to drag this up again, but there might be a very simple solution.

When hell freezes over.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
So if the forecast is correct I should expect delivery sometime on Sunday morning.
I blame Noah Webster for this entire thread Big Grin
(2017-04-21, 18:23)Martijn Wrote:
(2017-04-21, 18:21)Hidentity Wrote: I'm sorry to drag this up again, but there might be a very simple solution.

When hell freezes over.

When the Eagles broke up in the 80's they said they would get back together when hell freezes over. Hell must've frozen over at some point in the early 90's, since they reunited in '93.

And then there's this:

(2017-04-21, 13:29)nickr Wrote: Kodi bases its rules on USA law, not Dutch.

So why is en_US not the default language?

Not that I mind one way or the other, just seems a bit inconsistent.
Kodi Nexus on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 20.04 | Kodi Nexus on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
I believe the issue with making en_US default is that it'd be the world's biggest pain in the ass for very little gain. A few mistakes throughout the code can cause everything to break, all so we can feel better about certain word choices.
Thanks @Nate. No need to make things more difficult than they need to be. As I posted, I don't mind either way, I can read whatever version of English is on the screen. Wink
Kodi Nexus on Dell Optiplex 980 Lubuntu 20.04 | Kodi Nexus on HTPC Lubuntu 20.04 | My Add-ons | Legacy Repo | Matrix Repo
Quote:I can read whatever version of English is on the screen

+1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cultural Imperialism2