Time to upgrade... 1080p w/ full HD audio bitstreaming + HVEC all in KODI
Well my Minix box is starting to do funky things and it's served me well for about 5 years now, plus it cannot deal at all with HVEC in Kodi (it's X8-H)... time to upgrade.

I recently upgraded to a projector setup so 1080p is where I stay, not interested in 4K although it seems most of my initial choices will include playback of 4K content. All of my viewed content is local from my server (NFS share) absolutely no streaming.

In priority my needs/wants:
  • best KODI native compatibility (would prefer not to have to use external players if possible)
  • clear/crisp 1080P w/ true colors (3D is not important, although my projector is 3D capable)
  • full HD audio bitstreaming (ATMOS, DTS/DOLBY HD and MA, etc)
  • HVAC support
  • Wired Gigabit Ethernet
My hardware at home:
  • Sony SXRD VPL-HW45ES Projector
  • Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3040
So far I've narrowed it down to the following boxes:
  • Zidoo X9S or X8
  • NVIDIA Shield
  • Intel HTPC's or NUC's with Kodi MVC Build

So far the X9S looks like the best bet for me to future proof a little and have a nice looking box as well. But I am looking for some input.

Thanks!
(2017-04-25, 17:59)NOTORIOUS VR Wrote: Best KODI native compatibility (would prefer not to have to use external players if possible)
Zidoo X9S or X8 = external video playback software used. Kodi is only a graphic frontend for this Hybrid implementation.
Only buy if you are serious about 1080p 3D - even then an Intel Box would be better from all reports.

There are also problems with the nVIDIA Shield running mixed mode HDMI 2.0 AVR & a HDMI 1.x TV / projector, unless that issue has recently been fixed.
Ask in the nVIDIA Shield thread for more details.

Suggestion - Stay away from Android all together - it will only get in the way if all you want is a easy to use Kodi box. Use LibreELEC Kodi instead.

Plenty of LibreELEC Kodi boxes to choose from in the sticky START HERE thread.

If you already have a Wireless MINIX remote - get a AMLogic S905 MINIX - U1 and use LibreELEC Kodi on it.

(2017-04-25, 20:11)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-04-25, 17:59)NOTORIOUS VR Wrote: Best KODI native compatibility (would prefer not to have to use external players if possible)
Zidoo X9S or X8 = external video playback software used. Kodi is only a graphic frontend for this Hybrid implementation.
Only buy if you are serious about 1080p 3D - even then an Intel Box would be better from all reports.

There are also problems with the nVIDIA Shield running mixed mode HDMI 2.0 AVR & a HDMI 1.x TV / projector, unless that issue has recently been fixed.
Ask in the nVIDIA Shield thread for more details.

Suggestion - Stay away from Android all together - it will only get in the way if all you want is a easy to use Kodi box. Use LibreELEC Kodi instead.

Plenty of LibreELEC Kodi boxes to choose from in the sticky START HERE thread.

If you already have a Wireless MINIX remote - get a AMLogic S905 MINIX - U1 and use LibreELEC Kodi on it.

Awesome info so far, thank you.

Honestly I'm ok with going away from Android completely, I don't use anything on my current Android box but Kodi (and not even the one that ships with the ROM). I don't use other remotes (minix, or the airmouse although I have them) except for my Harmony Smart via BT which I absolutely need to keep. I will not give that functionality up.

As for 3D, I really don't care for it... I don't have any 3D titles, or even 3D glasses, so there is that Smile

I would really like to have bitstreaming since I have a capable receiver and titles, my current Minix causes me grief when I try to play something is cannot support. In the Start Here thread the U1 is not listed, the U9 is though (re. bitstreaming)

NUE is on the bottom of the list as I don't really want to deal with boot times and I hope that for my mostly basic needs (1080p, HVEC + bitstreaming) there would be a good stable solution that would last me a few years until I'm ready to upgrade to a 4K HDR capable projector, also even a low end NUC is going to cost quite a bit by the time you buy RAM and SSD for it.

Looks like I can get a U9 for about $190 CAD right now: https://www.amazon.ca/MINIX-Octa-Core-Di...B06WGNY9L2

But I'm open to other suggestions as well.. Would an ODROID fit my needs/requirements?

Thanks!
NOTORIOUS VR Wrote:Intel HTPC's or NUC's with Kodi MVC Build
NOTORIOUS VR Wrote:As for 3D, I really don't care for it... I don't have any 3D titles, or even 3D glasses, so there is that Smile

so why would you be looking to use a Windows/MVC build vs running LibreELEC?

And as much as many modern ARM-based solutions, like AML-S905 devices, are more than competent for video playback, CPU wise they still lag far behind x86, so anything that's not handled by the GPU/VPU is potentially problematic. It's for that reason that my main device is still a Haswell Chromebox (albeit an i7-4600U one, which handles 1080p/HEVC without issue) -- it's bulletproof and runs LE flawlessly, with boot times that shame every other device on the market.
(2017-04-25, 22:13)NOTORIOUS VR Wrote: In the Start Here thread the U1 is not listed, the U9 is though (re. bitstreaming)
ALL S905(x) boxes running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton will give you HD Audio Bitstreaming

You must have missed reading this bit:

Q. Best 1080p/4K Bang for the Buck - Kodi only, HD Audio device ?
(All running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, unless noted. Easiest to hardest to setup, Wireless remote purchase recommended)
  • Vero 4K (OSMC)
  • ODROID C2 / WeTek Hub
  • MINIX U1
  • Various cheap AMLogic S905(X) devices.
There is very little mainstream 1080p/4K content (excluding 1080p 3D) these devices will not Hardware decode and play.

Out of Video compression Spec - 1080p 10bit H264 aka Hi10P Anime will need an Intel Machine to Software decode it.

(2017-04-26, 00:14)Matt Devo Wrote:
NOTORIOUS VR Wrote:Intel HTPC's or NUC's with Kodi MVC Build
NOTORIOUS VR Wrote:As for 3D, I really don't care for it... I don't have any 3D titles, or even 3D glasses, so there is that Smile

so why would you be looking to use a Windows/MVC build vs running LibreELEC?

Well I really just copy pasted, I wasn't looking at MVC specifically, sorry for the confusion.

Quote:And as much as many modern ARM-based solutions, like AML-S905 devices, are more than competent for video playback, CPU wise they still lag far behind x86, so anything that's not handled by the GPU/VPU is potentially problematic. It's for that reason that my main device is still a Haswell Chromebox (albeit an i7-4600U one, which handles 1080p/HEVC without issue) -- it's bulletproof and runs LE flawlessly, with boot times that shame every other device on the market.

I did some more light reading yesterday about Chromeboxes, using the spreadsheet I think I could get away with a Celeron Chromebox. But I don't want to run windows, and it seems like that's all that was listed... If I can run LE on the Chromebox and get all the functionality I would be interested in that as well.

(2017-04-26, 04:21)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-04-25, 22:13)NOTORIOUS VR Wrote: In the Start Here thread the U1 is not listed, the U9 is though (re. bitstreaming)
ALL S905(x) boxes running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton will give you HD Audio Bitstreaming

You must have missed reading this bit:

Q. Best 1080p/4K Bang for the Buck - Kodi only, HD Audio device ?
(All running LibreELEC Kodi Krypton, unless noted. Easiest to hardest to setup, Wireless remote purchase recommended)
  • Vero 4K (OSMC)
  • ODROID C2 / WeTek Hub
  • MINIX U1
  • Various cheap AMLogic S905(X) devices.
There is very little mainstream 1080p/4K content (excluding 1080p 3D) these devices will not Hardware decode and play.

Out of Video compression Spec - 1080p 10bit H264 aka Hi10P Anime will need an Intel Machine to Software decode it.

Yes you're right I did, I looked only for bitstreaming and that list didn't stand out to me about being able to do ATMOS, HD & MA...

I'll do some more digging and come back if I have any questions.

Thanks all!
(2017-04-26, 15:03)NOTORIOUS VR Wrote: I did some more light reading yesterday about Chromeboxes, using the spreadsheet I think I could get away with a Celeron Chromebox. But I don't want to run windows, and it seems like that's all that was listed... If I can run LE on the Chromebox and get all the functionality I would be interested in that as well.

Chromeboxes are Linux devices first and foremost (ChromeOS is Gentoo-based after all), it's only somewhat recently that Windows works fully on it, and most users here run LE on them -- see the links in my sig for more info. I also have a few spare boxes most of the time if you're wanting something pre-configured (both Celeron and Core i7), just shoot me a PM
(2017-04-26, 15:15)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-04-26, 15:03)NOTORIOUS VR Wrote: I did some more light reading yesterday about Chromeboxes, using the spreadsheet I think I could get away with a Celeron Chromebox. But I don't want to run windows, and it seems like that's all that was listed... If I can run LE on the Chromebox and get all the functionality I would be interested in that as well.

Chromeboxes are Linux devices first and foremost (ChromeOS is Gentoo-based after all), it's only somewhat recently that Windows works fully on it, and most users here run LE on them -- see the links in my sig for more info. I also have a few spare boxes most of the time if you're wanting something pre-configured (both Celeron and Core i7), just shoot me a PM

Yes I've been reading... but I also just read that the chipsets in these now older boxes don't actually support HVEC decoding and/or there are linux driver issues on top of it that don't allow HVEC decoding.

That would certainly be a deal breaker for me.

Can you link to a current thread possibly that I can read up on?

That said, I think I'm going to end up with an S905 box w/ LE loaded on.

Now my only question is, what advantages are there going with the U1 vs a cheaper S905 box (like Beelink, etc).
(2017-04-26, 15:34)NOTORIOUS VR Wrote: Yes I've been reading... but I also just read that the chipsets in these now older boxes don't actually support HVEC decoding and/or there are linux driver issues on top of it that don't allow HVEC decoding.

the Haswell/Broadwell GPUs don't do HEVC, so it's handled by the CPU. The Celeron can handle 720 HEVC, but not all 1080p. The Core i3 and above handle both 720p/1080p HEVC but not 4K.

Quote:That said, I think I'm going to end up with an S905 box w/ LE loaded on.

Now my only question is, what advantages are there going with the U1 vs a cheaper S905 box (like Beelink, etc).

the S905 is a great option as long as you don't need support for formats its GPU/VPU don't handle, like Hi-10P, or want to run (too many) other tasks in the background.
Well in that case I think I might just try my hand at a Beelink V1.0... $75 CAD for the box, 2/16 GB version w/ GigE seems to have near perfect support with LE... I think that is hard to beat. If it doesn't hold up to what I need then I can make another decision I suppose... I doubt it is going to be any worse than my existing X8-H box (S802-H)

Thanks again!
(2017-04-26, 15:15)Matt Devo Wrote:

Hi Matt,

I run a couple LE Celeron Chromeboxes, they're great with your setup script. Out of curiosity, what do you use the i7 box for? Only HEVC 1080p stuff?

I'm going to add 2 or 3 more chromboxes to my setup when I move into my new build house, as every TV will only be supplied TV via Kodi (TVH) so every TV will have it's own Kodi box and a central PVR set up with 6-10 Sat>IP tuners. (still undecided)
Do you think there's any benefit making the main TVH PVR box an i3, i5, i7 instead of a Celeron as it'll be doing all the PVR work in the background as well as running Kodi (unless I make it dedicated in the server cupboard)?

Thanks
(2017-04-26, 20:31)t2ffn Wrote: Do you think there's any benefit making the main TVH PVR box an i3, i5, i7 instead of a Celeron as it'll be doing all the PVR work in the background as well as running Kodi (unless I make it dedicated in the server cupboard)?

TV Headend is a really light CPU user - so unless you are doing transcoding on it (which I doubt you are) - then a Celeron is probably fine for streaming multiple channels and making multiple recordings.
Thanks noggin. I have one flawlessly running TVH now with a dual tuner setup, and 1 extra client + phones, was just wondering if the Celeron would cope when more clients are added and potentially more simultaneous recording / playback from it's attached USB drive.

Thanks
(2017-04-26, 20:31)t2ffn Wrote: Hi Matt,

I run a couple LE Celeron Chromeboxes, they're great with your setup script. Out of curiosity, what do you use the i7 box for? Only HEVC 1080p stuff?

I'm going to add 2 or 3 more chromboxes to my setup when I move into my new build house, as every TV will only be supplied TV via Kodi (TVH) so every TV will have it's own Kodi box and a central PVR set up with 6-10 Sat>IP tuners. (still undecided)
Do you think there's any benefit making the main TVH PVR box an i3, i5, i7 instead of a Celeron as it'll be doing all the PVR work in the background as well as running Kodi (unless I make it dedicated in the server cupboard)?

Thanks

I also run a TVH backend from my main box, and felt like the hyperthreading in the i3/i7 helped a bit with DVR stuff in the background; it also helps with 1080p HEVC, which the Celeron can't really handle. I picked up a handful of the i7 Chromeboxes pretty cheap, have a couple left still if you're interested, just PM me.
Thanks Matt, you're US and I'm UK so think the shipping would negate the benefit. The i3 seems more reasonably priced than the i7 so I'll make that one of the next boxes I pick up.

I'd also recommend the OP look at the chromeboxes for a set top box bomb-proof kodi solution. It's possibly just Atmos that isn't possible to passthrough, but I don't have an atmos receiver to check. Everything else works perfectly under LE. Maybe go for the i3 to cover off the 1080p HEVC needs.

Update: I did some searches and it seems Atmos should passthrough with a Chromebox under LE just fine.

Source: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=268805

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Time to upgrade... 1080p w/ full HD audio bitstreaming + HVEC all in KODI0