MP3 tag TPE4 interpreted as artist?
Looking thru my MyMusic database I found lots of strArtist (in table artist) that do contain values that are stored in tag TPE4.

E.g. TPE4="Wendy And Lisa Slow Jam Mix" is stored in strArtist and visible in Kodi as artist.

I always thought this is a remix field. The standard names it "... remixed by". Is it really wise to put it in strArtist?

Just a question ...
Yes TPE4 is processed by v17 and stored as the "remixer" with the content taken as the name of an individual or other entity e.g. a group.

This means that there will be a row in the artist table for this "artist" (= person or group that contributed to the recording in some way, could be the title artist or composer, remixer, orchestra, producer, cello player etc.), and rows in the songartist table that also has strArtist field denormalised for debug purposes.

I think it is wise Smile
It allows for all those title artists that also do something else (compose, produce, mix, play drums or sing backing vocals) on other songs by other title artists. There is a whole world of discovery possible with fully tagged music, finding the songs where artists did other things, or all those produced by the same person etc. It does mean that the artist table contains not only title song and album artists but any one (inc groups such as bands, orchestras and choirs) that contributes in some way to recorded music. When Kodi displays the artists node it only lists those that are album or song title artists, under roles such as remixer it shows those that contribute that role.

In your example "Wendy And Lisa Slow Jam Mix" is a combination of the name (names?) of the remixer(s) and a description of the kind of mix. Say that "Wendy And Lisa" is a single entity i.e. you don't want "Wendy" separate from "Lisa", then I would propose that TPE4 should be set as "Wendy And Lisa", with "Slow Jam Mix" belonging in either the track title, COMM (comments) tag or TIT3 (subtitle) tag. Kodi does not process TIT3 yet but it is on my list.

That make sense? Questions are welcome, but if you are looking under the hood of Kodi at the db then expect a technical reply. When I added the extra tag processing in v17 I only had the written ID3 standards to go on, and yet to find out what people have done with their tags in the wild. I believe this treatment of TPE4 is the most useful and flexible one.
Thanks for your answer.

Seems that I have to retag my whole library then. Must move all TPE4 to TIT3 then. Was never a problem in nearly 15 years. Argh.

If you will consider TIT3 in the future, will it end in something like that:

TIT1: TIT2 [TIT3]
Content group description: Title Songname Content description [Subtitle Description refinement]
Piano Concerto: Hurricane Donna [Performed live at Wembley]

Thanks in advance.
(2017-04-26, 13:41)hawikoeln Wrote: Seems that I have to retag my whole library then. Must move all TPE4 to TIT3 then. Was never a problem in nearly 15 years. Argh.
Not really a problem now either if you don't want to use the Remixer role, or don't mind it having "Wendy And Lisa Slow Jam Mix" in the list of remixers. In the last 15 years Kodi just was not showing what you had in that tag, nor were other players - do any show TPE4? Continuing to not look is always an option.

Otherwise a bit of retagging is good for the soul Smile

Quote:If you will consider TIT3 in the future, will it end in something like that:

TIT1: TIT2 [TIT3]
Content group description: Title Songname Content description [Subtitle Description refinement]
Piano Concerto: Hurricane Donna [Performed live at Wembley]
It will be stored in the lib as a song property thus a filter/smart playlist option too, and made available to skins via info label and to apps/addons via JSON API, up to them how and when they display it. But yes that would be the kind of thing I would hope would happen.
I started in 2002 with "Dapyx MP3 Explorer", later changed to "Helium-Music-Manager" and don't add more nowadays. I'm using Kodi since several months to hear my "old" music.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MP3 tag TPE4 interpreted as artist?0