Quartz support in XBMC for Mac OS X?
I just downloaded and tried out 1.2 on my x3100 macbook, the newest one, i didn't play a movie but it seemed to be going fine, I've never actually used xbmc but i noticed it has a lot of animations throughout the interface, do any of these use core animation or any of the other core features of leopard, for video playback core video would help play larger (HD) videos, just a thought, quartz really does help in these kind of areas but it would really require a lot of work to be done to the core rather then just a port over from the linux version
I just downloaded and tried out 1.2 on my x3100 macbook, the newest one, i didn't play a movie but it seemed to be going fine, I've never actually used xbmc but i noticed it has a lot of animations throughout the interface, do any of these use core animation or any of the other core features of leopard, for video playback core video would help play larger (HD) videos, just a thought, quartz really does help in these kind of areas but it would really require a lot of work to be done to the core rather then just a port over from the linux version
XBMC talks directly to the graphics API instead of a layer above it. In the case of the Xbox, it's Direct3D, and in the case of the Linux/Mac/Win32 ports, it's OpenGL, which is what Quartz uses. There is no advantage is switching to a more restricted (quartz doesn't do 3D), platform specific API, given that our goal is to remain platform independent. The only advantage of Core Video is to be able to use Core Image filters on the video (it doesn't do any codec stuff), which we basically do, depending on GPU support using shaders (which is what Core Image does internally).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

right right about the core video, but for the animation throughout the interface core animation would help, altho it's basically designed to help the programmer, it gives end user speed benefits but it basically is just used to make animations easier, plus python is cocoa now so u can use it, just a suggestion
o and sorry can't edit this into my last post, but core animation will do 3d animations
xShad0w Wrote:o and sorry can't edit this into my last post, but core animation will do 3d animations

Core Animation and Video wouldn't help because they provide frameworks for doing what XBMC already does.

All the Core* frameworks are there to simplify using functionality you could benefit from but don't want to code yourself. All of this exists already in XBMC. Using Core* wouldn't help XBMC at all and would actually distance the OSX port from the rest without any actual benefit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Quartz support in XBMC for Mac OS X?0