Get all roles for an artist
I was looking at the "all contributors" library node, and it seems like it would be useful to show the union of all roles for each artist as a listitem label control in the UI, but I don't see any way to get this.

scott s.
Not sure if it helps you but the JSON API AudioLibrary GetArtists method will return that, use the "roles" parameter. The JSON users asked for it, but I didn't think to add it to the info labels as well at the time, sorry about that.

It could slow the perfromance of the artists node if added generally to the artistview, but would make sense to me on the arrtist info dialog. Is that what you had in mind?
I would like to use it in "roles" -> "all contributors" as ISTM that showing "all contributors" is kind of not useful (except to see *) unless you can see what roles the contributor has.

scott s.
"All contributors" is there for completeness and as a way to see all the artist table from Kodi, great for debugging but in daily use it isn't very useful I agree. It is effectively an unfiltered artists node.

It had not crossed my mind to see the union of roles for each artist in this node. I can see a number of ways to implement it. I have to wonder if it is worth taking the performance hit and making the union of roles part of the artistview and thus available on all artists nodes, or even denormalise to add and maintain a roles string in the artist table.

Doing something specific for just "All contributors" less attractive - it creates an info label that is only populated sometimes. It would also need its own query and dataset processing, I'm fine with that but I know that others already hate CMusicDatabase for its "variety".

A useful addition to artists nodes generally?
I'm not sure it has much overall use. I was scrolling though "all contributors" after updating a bunch of classical albums for a QA check. There's no way I see to find what role the artist has, and even if you drill down to the next level of "albums", there's no way to see the artist's role without drilling down again to the album tracks and selecting each track in turn and checking the ContributorAndRoles.

Also, in the "all roles" node the list of roles is unordered. It would be nice if at least I could get an alpha sort of roles (or is there some way to sort the container?).

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Get all roles for an artist0