v17 Near Identical Movie Names cause issues in Kodi.
This is not necessarily a Windows version of Kodi issue (as It occures on both my Nuc and Nvidia Shield TV), and I have seen this issue before.

Several years ago (I believe Kodi 14), I noticed an issue with some movies not showing up in my database (even though they were scrapped correctly using MediaElch, and had perfectly good .NFO files. In the original case, the movies had the title Ghost in them...

Ghost (1990) - Bluray\Ghost (1990) - Bluray.mkv
Ghostbusters (1984) - Bluray\Ghostbusters (1984) - Bluray.mkv
Ghostbusters 2 (1989) - BluRay\Ghostbusters 2 (1989) - BluRay.mkv

What happened was, that only the first movie (Ghost) was displayed in the Movie database, and the others weren't able to be seen by the database (no amount of adding, removing, or updating the database would fix the issue. So I posted the issue here, and it was eventually fixed in Kodi.

Fast forward to Kodi 17.1. Same issue, but new movies.

Suicide Kings (1997) - BluRay\Suicide Kings (1997) - BluRay.mkv
Suicide Squad (2016) - BluRay\Suicide Squad (2016) - BluRay.mkv

Could not find Suicide Squad listing in Kodi. I am using the Aeon MQ7 skin, so I switched to Estuary Skin, but that made no difference. Removed the movies source, and re-added it, etc. The movie would not show up.

So a temporary fix, was to rename the folder to DC's Suicide Squad (2016) - BluRay, and then Kodi was able to find and add the movie to the database.

Still there appears to be an issue, and I wanted to let the Devs (and everyone else), know about it (for a possible future fix), and how to fix it currently.
Perhaps the scraper is hiccuping on the word ' - BlueRay' I did a search in Google with the words "Suicide Squad (2016) - BluRay" which didn't turn up in the first page results with any of the common database listings the scraper use. Take the word " ' - BlueRay'" out, and the search results in top of list.
Except all of my movies are setup like that (3,447 of them). And just changing the from..

Suicide Squad (2016) - BluRay\Suicide Squad (2016) - BluRay.mkv

to
DC's Suicide Squad (2016) - BluRay\Suicide Squad (2016) - BluRay.mkv

fixed the issue of displaying in the database (but not the underlying problem).

So do you think it was a scraper issue (even though I have .NFO files for all my movies)? I guess I can re-add the movie source again, and make sure to only use Local Info, and see if that works.
I wouldn't blame the scrapers, they just hand off the quoted "title" to the meta-database which looks for matches, the date in brackets helps as there does seem to be some consideration for duplicates. OTH it would be a great option in the scraper to allow exceptions and rules, but the system in use seems to grab the majority of titles. Naming video files/Movies (wiki) I'm not sure why you need the word 'BlueRay' in your titles, when Kodi automatically checks the resolution on scrape/video launch and tags it. Using the skin Transparency! the covers denote SD, blue-ray, 1080p, 4K with associated coloured covers and titles.

Loading one movie in at a time manually will allow you to direct the scraper, but as noted too many to do. I would use a bulk TheRenamer (wiki) if you intend to stick with Kodi as your media handler. I don't know how you have your sources, but this might be a good time to start splitting up and segregating your sources, while renaming.
What is this "BlueRay" you speak of. Wink

I have named my movie folders (and files) this for years, as it has always worked (and still does) in Kodi. There are a couple of other reasons why I name them that way.

1. Works in MediaElch for scraping my Movies.
2. Works with several Kodi add-on's to assign the correct Media case to the Movie when browsing through the database (DVD, BluRay, 3D).
3. In conjunction with 3D movie naming, helps to separate them in the Database.
4. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (again the current issue is an anomaly, the first time in many years).
The scraper uses the folder name to identify the movie name. Bluray is not in the movie name, you should remove it. You can leave bluray in the file name.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-04-28, 22:21)nickr Wrote: The scraper uses the folder name to identify the movie name.
Even if you use an .nfo?
There's an option which can be checked when scraping - 'Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title' - but it's not the default. Some of my folders are fairly different to the film titles, it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Near Identical Movie Names cause issues in Kodi.0