Linux ProjectM Crashes Kodi on Ubuntu 17.04
Hi All,

I've just moved over to Ubuntu 17.04 with Gnome3 Desktop from Windows. I installed Kodi using ppa:team-xbmc/ppa. Kodi its self work perfectly, when I install the ProjectM visualisation from the same repository and load it, Kodi just exits!

Can anyone help?
I've spent the last day or so researching this and troubleshooting my own setup, so here's what I have discovered and gotten verified:

ProjectM doesn't work on Ubuntu 17.04 (Zesty Zapus) yet. It installs, but when trying to start it, the icon appears for a minute before closing itself. Because of this, the Kodi plugin using ProjectM doesn't work either- when enabled, it imitates that same behavior (Kodi locks up and eventually closes too). ProjectM itself and the Kodi plugin are working on Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak) and the latest Kodi (v17), but something about the latest Ubuntu breaks the visualization. Until ProjectM functions properly, its implementation into Kodi won't work.

At this point, we're waiting for / looking for someone who knows enough about coding to figure out a fix (besides rolling back our OS). If I knew where to file a bug report, I'd do so. Like you, I'm not ready to give up my Milkdrop just because I've escaped from Windows... Wink
the issue is that we need a patched projectm version, which I haven't built for ubuntu 17.04 yet. If you cannot wait rebuild the 16.04 or 16.10 source package of libprojectm from https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archiv...hive-extra

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ProjectM Crashes Kodi on Ubuntu 17.040