Is there an legal Paid TV shows add-on?
Hi,

I don't mind paying for it of course but I'm looking for something that shows me new and old shows. I don't want Netflix because it doesn't have everything on it. Currently paying for Amazon Prime and that's the same too but hey I love my one day free deliveries xD

By the way I'm in the UK. But I don't necessarily mean only UK Shows, I'm looking for Both - Downtown Abbey, Sherlock, Big Bang theory, Lost, How I met your mother, Broadwalk Empire, Fargo, Fresh Prince, South Park Simpsons, etc etc.

Thanks
Why not install a pvr backend?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-05-06, 03:39)nickr Wrote: Why not install a pvr backend?

I've only used PVR for those Paid Services which you know I don't want to discuss on here.

Which PVR is 100% legal? Will it give me TV shows on Demand?

-- Update --

Just had a look at filmon and it doesn't have many shows.
Pretty sure all pvr is legal. It is just recording what is freely available from antenna or satellite.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I think the idea of using a PVR backend (such as mythtv or tvheadend) is that eventually most things turn up on tv. So you set up the PVR to record things you might want to watch one day and with a big enough disk drive you have "on demand" from your own personal library.

For example you can set record to "Big Bang Theory" and you'd pick up the new series and the repeats so eventually have equivalent of a complete box set that you could watch when you want. Just never bother deleting the episodes when you watch them.

Or with mythtv's tvwish it will automatically record top rated movies, or you can set it to record highest rated episodes of certain tv series. You'd be surprised how many good films get shown on some obscure channel.

But you can only record the free channels so it's not a good alternative for some shows that are only shown on encrypted tv. For those, you are normally forced to use the proper box or jump through hoops.
(2017-05-06, 22:17)kluc55 Wrote: I think the idea of using a PVR backend (such as mythtv or tvheadend) is that eventually most things turn up on tv. So you set up the PVR to record things you might want to watch one day and with a big enough disk drive you have "on demand" from your own personal library.

For example you can set record to "Big Bang Theory" and you'd pick up the new series and the repeats so eventually have equivalent of a complete box set that you could watch when you want. Just never bother deleting the episodes when you watch them.

Or with mythtv's tvwish it will automatically record top rated movies, or you can set it to record highest rated episodes of certain tv series. You'd be surprised how many good films get shown on some obscure channel.

But you can only record the free channels so it's not a good alternative for some shows that are only shown on encrypted tv. For those, you are normally forced to use the proper box or jump through hoops.

oh right. I need a big enough HDD for that. However it be easy to buy Sky Box Sets as it has 300 shows (it doesn't have everything I want tho). When you want to go Legal and it's Hard AF but illegal you can find all in one add on haha...the irony.
Yes they make it difficult to ensure they can show you ads and track what you watch.

You might not need a huge drive. Since there are few HD channels, you're looking at just over 1GB/hour for SD. So 1TB is approx 1000GB or 1000 hours of SD tv or 41 complete days of 24 hours recording. So a 4TB external USB drive gives you just under 1/2 year of watching tv non-stop. You could reduce this file size if you wanted if you have reasonably new machine by transcoding, that is converting the recordings from old tv standard to newer, smaller formats so they take up less space.
Depends which market you are in. I think I'm the UK most of Freeview and Free sat are HD.
For HD, divide the figures by pi (figures always sound better if they're not rounded off). So a 4TB drive will give a couple of months of continuous tv.

An alternative could be to look in to one of those Android boxes. Kodi on Android can launch any app from its menu. So if there is an Amazon streaming app then you can launch it for those shows you want to watch, or launch an official iplayer app etc. I don't use these boxes so check in the forum first or try it out on your phone.

A final alternative is to purchase used discs of shows you want and convert them on to your hard drive. That way you own the discs and never have ads or stuttering. Nowadays the process is fairly simple, search the forum for HandBrake.

For example Lost S1-S4 is £2 each and S5/S6 are £5 and £7, so total of £20. The 23 discs of Fresh Prince is £28. I don't know if that's good value or not or how it compares to the costs you pay for streaming but FP at 148 episodes x 30 mins gives you 6 months of continuous tv.
There's been some good legal addons that have come out since this post started so in case anybody else is looking for these I've found a couple of good lists.

This applies to both paid for and free TV addons that I've found:

removed
https://matricom.net/blog/kodi-best-lega...s-tv-2020/

These are totally legal addons and they're quite good. Most of them can be installed from Kodi's own repository. There's actually a ton of addons in their official repo so I'll probably explore them more but these should help on keeping this discussion up-to-date.
Kodi Enthusiast / Spontaneous Box Buyer / Wannabe Dev
[ Current favs: Fastest: Ugoos AM6 Android Box / Budget: Omni Kodi Stick / Balance: KM3 Android Box ] 
It's just a shame that first link claims to be talking about legal addons, and then immediately talks about getting them from a banned addon (wiki) repo that also contains all sorts of piracy crap.

Due to that the link has been removed.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-01-31, 10:57)DarrenHill Wrote: It's just a shame that first link claims to be talking about legal addons, and then immediately talks about getting them from a banned addon (wiki) repo that also contains all sorts of piracy crap.

Due to that the link has been removed.

Thanks for pointing that out! My apologies for not catching that earlier.
Kodi Enthusiast / Spontaneous Box Buyer / Wannabe Dev
[ Current favs: Fastest: Ugoos AM6 Android Box / Budget: Omni Kodi Stick / Balance: KM3 Android Box ] 

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there an legal Paid TV shows add-on?0