v17 Unable to turn off Subtitles / Settings Set won't reset/change
Hey All,

So, I was on 16 (Jarvis), and we (the family) were watching something that was difficult to hear, so I turned on 'subtitles' (from which menu, I can't remember)... for the next few things we were watching, the subtitles were on, and I kept saying "I must go in and turn that option back off", but I kept forgetting, and connected in with Kore, swiped to the left, three dots, turned them off, wasn't that bad, so I kept doing it.

Then 17 came along, I updated, and now I can't turn them off at all, the menu/choice, I can't find and then the settings I put seem to stick, even with clicking "Reset these options to default", etc. (I'm now on 17.1, the system info shows that)

I tried to install and then uninstall a subtitle addon, thinking that might do it, nope.. I ticked the option "pause while downloading subtitles" and while there was an addon, that worked, but as my 'solution' didn't fix the issue, I turned off the subtitle add-on, and un-checked "pause while downloading subtitles" and yet, the items I'm watching, still pause at the beginning.

The subs are NOT hard coded into the item, as if I remote into Kodi from the laptop using VNC, I can press L and they say "disabled".. I even tried the choice (somewhere, I can't remember where, maybe in on screen menu) were you can choose "disable on all" or similar, but that didn't fix it either.

Is there a file, or location, to do with the subtitles that might have had the permissions changed during an update and anything I change is not sticking?

I'm happy with putty, if I need to remote in on the backend and delete/change, etc a file?

While it's only a small inconvenience, it's driving me nuts, as I can't fix it. Angry
Nobody able to help me with this?
If you've got something playing, open the on-screen display and then select the config icon (the cog one). There are three options in there, one is for subtitles. You can turn them off there, and there's also a "set as default" option as well which you should be able to use to turn things off permanently.

That could be the choice you mention above, but just in case it isn't try that way.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Also, a useful feature with Krypton is that you can long press "down" and it will enable/disable subtitles for the current video.
I have this problem too.

I already tried the "uncheck subtitles and set it as default for all movies".
But it wont hide the subtitles ever.

Just tried the movie on my pc with vlc, there I can disable the subtitles.

Kodi 17.3 on Wetek Hub using Libreelec 8.1.3 (kszaq build).
The subtitles were as *.idx and *.sub included into the movie folder.
If I rename the sub file, the subtitles disappear.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to turn off Subtitles / Settings Set won't reset/change0