Display off on idle
Hi everyone,

I have my KODI - libreelec build (x86 intel) linux build going into the TV via a HDMI switcher. In kodi I noticed that the software can and does stop the signal after a set period of time of inactivity. I was wondering if it was possible to completely disable the HDMI ie depower the cable and then renable when required. This is required so that the switcher switches over - the lack of a HDMI signal does not be sufficient but the absence or presence of the power (from other devices) seems to be trigger.

I am a relatively inexperienced in linux so any help would be appreciated.

thanks

casper88
What about the internal shutdown timer and let Kodi suspend or shutdown completely?
thanks for reply..does switch once kodi is suspended/shutdown, however i required the machine to be on to access smb shares so was trying to find a command line solution to disable the hdmi.
probably with: xrandr --output <displayname> --off

check with the command: xrandr

for the replacement for: <displayname>
thanks again for reply here and over on the libreelec forums

this does disable the signal but the switcher clearly seems some power through the cable as it doesnt switch over to another active device. a hunch is telling me that the cable's vdd pins are connected to the internal rails and may not actually be software controlled. if you have any other nuggets of linux knowledge that could be a solution, I look forward to hear it from you

thanks again

casper
You can force display power management with the xset command:
Display standby:
xset dpms force standby

Display suspend:
xset dpms force suspend

Display off:
xset dpms force off
xset is not available at LibreELEC
cheers for the help...i have gone with changing the setup and making a custom hdmi cable with the 5v rail controlled by usb Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Display off on idle0