checking for main in -lmad... no configure: error: libmad is required.
after i did "./build.sh" I got this error

checking for main in -lmad... no
configure: error: libmad is required. Please see README.linux

so where do I go from there? There's nothing to see in readme.linux about lmad.
thanks
until you bother to read and follow the bloody build instructions, you wont get any help.

and yes, libmad is listed in README.linux so your lazyness is all out in the open
I did read the README.linux Last time I checked the bolded line wasn't there so someone must have added it very recently

...v libmms-dev pmount libmad0-dev libtre-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient15-dev

Thanks anyway I just installed it manually with Sypnaptic Package Manager. so far no more error.
I just looked at the wiki again and the bolded portion is still not there.

Someone should update the wiki.
Someone should just remove all instructions other than 'getting the source code' from the wiki. At least until the required dependencies are less likely to change.

This isn't the first time someone has read the wiki, noticed that things aren't working, and posted.
the wiki clearly states

Note! While XBMC for Linux is in its pre-alpha development stage these packages may get outdated relativly often so please checkout the list of packages from the README.linux file in the SVN just to be sure.

there's simply no excuse. either you're lazy or you're stupid. take your pick.
but there is somthing in README.linux about libmad i quote README.linux
For Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn):

# sudo apt-get install make g++-4.1 gcc-4.1 libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libcdio6 libcdio-dev libfribidi0 libfribidi-dev liblzo1 liblzo-dev libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-0 libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libsmbclient-dev libsmbclient libasound2-dev python2.4-dev python2.4 python-sqlite libglew1 libglew-dev libcurl3-dev g++ gawk x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmms-dev pmount libmad0-dev libtre-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient15-dev

For Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon):

# sudo apt-get install make g++-4.1 gcc-4.1 libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libcdio6 libcdio-dev libfribidi0 libfribidi-dev liblzo1 liblzo-dev libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-0 libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libsmbclient-dev libsmbclient libasound2-dev python2.4-dev python2.4 python-sqlite libglew1.4 libglew1.4-dev libcurl3-dev g++ gawk x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmms-dev pmount libmad0-dev libtre-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient15-dev

notice the libmad0-dev dependency

it has been mention a couple of times in this forum that README.linux has to be chcecked after each update since new dependencies can come along with updates to the code. README.linux is the only document that is up to date with information on how to build XBMC. no one has offewrd to update the wiki a daily so it's lagging behind.
spiff Wrote:the wiki clearly states
It does, and yet we get 2-3 of these posts per week. The apt-get line should be removed from the wiki entirely and replaced with 42 point type saying "Follow README.linux".
There should be no need for large font. We don't cater to incompetent and/or stupid users, yet.
I've just started a compile on Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) Beta

Could someone amend the readme.linux apt-get requirements for this distro, and change libcdio6 to libcdio7, and libGLEW1.4 (and -dev) to libGLEW1.5(-dev)

after doing that, it compiles fine!
We only maintain dep lists for recommended build environments, which 8.04 is not. Anyone using a distro other than ubuntu 7.04 or 7.10 desktop is on their own.
Perhaps you could point me towards a forum for XBMC on linux that has people who are friendly to users of other distributions then?

I certainly dont feel welcome here! (despite offering help)
I use gentoo, I too am on my own...

If you want to make a thread and keep it up to date go for it.
doing so now Big Grin
Wink 
TKFMPardus Wrote:I've just started a compile on Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) Beta

Could someone amend the readme.linux apt-get requirements for this distro, and change libcdio6 to libcdio7, and libGLEW1.4 (and -dev) to libGLEW1.5(-dev)

after doing that, it compiles fine!
You are welcome to give feedback on Hardy Heron compiling in this other topic-thread here => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=31412

Thanks!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
checking for main in -lmad... no configure: error: libmad is required.0