Looking for suggestions / recomendations
I was going to use plex for my home media setup because i really like its simplicity. After all i have to have this user friendly for my wife and kids. However have found 1 really terrible flaw, plex does not have any real support for the hd homerun prime. There are some unsupported plugins and i was able to get it going but its interface was not great and there was no tv guide at all.
I have been playing with kodi for about a month now and i really like it other than the silly fact amazon doesnt allow you to just download it and install it from their version of a play store ( silly pirates ruin a great media platform )
I have decided a centralized system to manage things will be the way to go, especially with how cheap and powerful a resberry pi 3 is. So i am making that little thing the heart of the media center with 1 fire tv and later a fire stick or maybe a fire tv
So my question really is this, what is a good setup for kodi to work with a hd homerun prime and is it possible to have dvr functionality? It would be especially awesome if someone knows about drm channels so i could watch hbo also right from kodi.
Essentially i am trying to make a home media setup where i can manage all the movies in 1 location so the cover art and everything shows up properly on all the devices once i have it correct on the media center.

Thank you!
Kodi and hdhomerun prime is a perfect marriage, imo definately the way to go.
No drm in Kodi as of yet,though. But it's a rather hot topic right now so hopes are high.

Have a read in case you havent found it: http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:HDHomeRun

If you like plex, i believe there is a plex addon for kodi, but i have not touched it yet, myself.
Might interest you.

https://kodi.tv/plex-add-on-for-kodi
hdhomerun isnt great on amazon devices Fyi - better off with a Pi3 in all honesty.
drm will not work in kodi - only wmc, xbox one, (maybe) their android app.

the silicondust hdhomerun https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/ is what I use and love.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
The funny thing is there is a hdhomerun app for the fire tv i have. It won't play drm channels. The only platform i have gotten drm to work on so far is my windows 10 laptop so i think for now i will just have to give up being able to play hbo on anything short of a windows platform.
The marriage of kodi and mythtv looks really promising to potentially play live tv from the homerun and maybe even give me recording capabilities. I wish i knew more about this but i am thinking my pi should run raspberian with kodi and mythtv backend. Then my fire tv should have kodi and the myth frontend plugin.

I love the idea of working with a pi as the server. If this distro runs most of the stuff a linux distro runs i can eventually expand my storage to being a RAID storage and all i will have to do is have multiple USB to sata adapters.
Not sure how well mythbackend works on a pi. Some research required on the mythtv mailing list archive as I have seen the pi mentioned there recently. Personally I run an oldish hp workstation as my backend.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I am a bit torn, i love the flexibility of kodi and its interface for my hdhomerun works well. I love the look of ple but its interface i have found ( via unofficial plugins because the whole point of this is to get rid of my cablebox fee not pay it to someone else ) is less than desirable and there is no guide. I fubared my pi this evening messing around with permissions lol somehow managed to make ssh unstable for me to log into it. I am thinking that if i can get it all working a mythtv backend with plex server running will be great and on the client devices plex with myth tv plugins. If that fails the heck with amazon kodi is being installed on everything it works well and the looks can be tweaked. my only annoyance is setting up sources to properly scrape can be tricky.
@Tdiguy
My English is maybe not the best so, i could be misunderstanding you.
Am i reading this line correct, you do not want to pay the cable box fee anymore, but just get it from the Internet.
If so you should read this great topic, see if its any help.

I am a bit torn, i love the flexibility of kodi and its interface for my hdhomerun works well. I love the look of ple but its interface i have found ( via unofficial plugins because the whole point of this is to get rid of my cablebox fee not pay it to someone else ) is less than desirable and there is no guide

If i am misreading your reply, i apologize

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=293112
English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors.
Grampa Simpson: Unfortunately, like all true stories, this one has a crappy ending. You have a story with an ending.
Grampa, are you sure you're okay to drive at night? Grampa: It's night?
Banned add-ons
Yep thats quite the misunderstanding.
I have no desire to steal content, which is essentially what you are saying.

The hdhomerun is a device to replace a cable box, legally. It annoys me that plex wants to support it but for a monthly fee because for me the major advantage of the hdhomerun is not paying a fee for the cable box.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for suggestions / recomendations0