Win Beef up micro ATX build for best quality gaming?
My current Kodi setup is an i3-3225 with onboard graphics, 4GB RAM, and no discreet PSU (PicoPSU used) in a MS-Tech MC1200 micro ATX HTPC case (see images attached). So far, I'm only using it for streaming, live TV, and media playback (all through Kodi), but I'd like to beef it up to play PC games at best quality.

I love the hifi appearance and noiselessness of my setup, so ideally I'd like to keep most of it as far as possible.

What I understand is that I need at least:
- a discreete PSU
- an i5 (or even i7) CPU
- a discreete GPU
- more RAM

My questions are:
1. Do you think it could be possible to cram all that into the case without risking overheating? If necessary, I could live without the BluRay drive. Never used it anyways...
2. Is there any way to reduce the noise of such setup when no games are being played? While I have to accept the noise for playing games, ideally I'd still like to enjoy watching movies without much background noise.

In a nutshell no. Of course it depends​ upon the games you want to play and the quality of the video desired, but modern games want CPUs and video cards with fans. They also want hundreds of watts of power supply.

Edit: Sorry, I thought that was a mini ITX case. You might be able to cram in enough stuff for a reasonable gamer. I'd definitely go with an i7 though.

Sent from my Moto G (4)
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
On a well thought out gaming machine, noise won't be much of an issue since the fans can come to a halt when doing the relatively trivial task of video decoding. Personally, I'd build a game in machine in a regular case, uATX at a minimum and go the route of an odroid C2 for Kodi.

Sent from my Moto G (4)
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
Of course there are ways, and trade-off's. For that case, you could probably watercool the CPU (but you might need to mod the case to make room for the radiator), and you can swap out fans on most video cards with less noisy ones. There are even small Power Supplies that can power the monster rigs these days.

Just look around at some PC Gaming forums, you will see all kind of Small Form Factor PC's (ITX) with beefy CPU's and Video cards.
Does that case take full height cards?
One thing that is important with a gaming htpc is quality fans..at one point I had 8 fans running in mine and the 7200rpm HDD would make more noise. They are noctura fans I would buy them again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beef up micro ATX build for best quality gaming?0